Carolynne's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Amy Corzine

Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: british-school-stories, england, romance, graphic-novel, young-adult
Read in March, 2012

Good introduction to the classic 19th century romance, a prototype of the Gothic Novel. I don't think the paintings do the magnificent scenery of the Yorkshire Moors justice, though the painting on page 3 is the closest. Jane is much prettier than I have always imagined her, and St. John Rivers looks more supercilious than I would have thought, but Rochester was spot on! Much of the elegant writing is preserved in the Original Text edition. One quibble with the illustrations: Jane as a bride (twice!) and other brides are pictured as having elaborate white gowns and veils, and I am not sure that that was the common practice in those days. At least, I am sure that Bronte's own modest wedding dress, preserved under glass at Haworth Parsonage, was a dark color (brown, I think).
Here's a link: http://www.haworth-village.org.uk/bro...

Spoiler ahead, in case there is anyone in the world who hasn't read this:
It was bittersweet to read in this book, "I know what it is to live entirely for and with what I love best on earth. I hold myself supremely blest -- blest beyond what language can express; because I am my husband's life as fully as he is mine." Sweet because Jane achieved the love she longed for, and Charlotte, who died less than a year after her marriage to curate Arthur Bell Nicholls, really never did.

There are some nice features in this book: a short biography of the author, the Bronte family tree, a chronology, a letter from Charlotte to her publisher, and a spread depicting the creative process in designing a graphic novel. No Lexile measure is available for this adaptation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.