Mike's Reviews > Edison's Conquest of Mars: The Original 1898 Sequel to The War of the Worlds

Edison's Conquest of Mars by Garrett P. Serviss

Jan 05, 12

Read from December 03, 2011 to January 05, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Edison's Conquest of Mars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie ?'Edison'? Edison was a thief and ran a sweatshop. If I were pinning my hopes on anybody, it would be Tesla.

But not for 'conquest', which is just reverse imperialism. I would recommend a sort of Pueblo model: creating a defense, to protect the Earth against not only further invasion, but also against the possibility that the Martians would get smart and start throwing rocks, instead.

And then an exchange of ambassadors, once the defenses are completed. But conquest would just perpetuate the problem.

Mike I'll let you know how the mad-dog, thieving sweatshop conquest goes. I don't write 'em, I just read 'em.

(Although apparently you have at your disposal:
"To Mars With Tesla; or, the Mystery of the Hidden World" by J. Weldon Cobb (1901)
and
"Wonder of the Worlds" by Sesh Heri (2005).

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie No, I wish. I have only Tesla's technical papers: and I'm having a bit of difficulty getting through that, because the text assumes a grounding in the state of the art at the time. It doesn't help to say 'the modification differs from the standard design in these ways' if you don't include a diagram of the standard design.