Jayme's Reviews > Earth Abides

Earth Abides by George R. Stewart

Dec 08, 11

Read in December, 2011

Great book. I really enjoy apocalyptic fiction. I have read a lot of it and this one has got to be towards the top of my list.

This book takes on more of an human approach to the end of the world. There is not a great deal of action but the pace does not get sluggish. Unlike most end of the world fiction this one has a much broader scope and looks at the future of a "Tribe" of survivors instead of just the main character. Plus in most of these type of stories there is one main challenge and once that is defeated the story ends and that is all. Not at all the case with Earth Abides.

The best part of the book for me was the 2nd half. There is a heart touching story of the main character and his son. Since I can't give away any spoilers it is hard to say what I like about the end other than the way the book hints at what life has become but only through glimpses of the main character.

The reason I didn't give it five stars was the length. While it never drags it could have had some parts cut out and not effected the book at all. In fact, more than once I read something went to the next page and read such a similar page that I went back to make sure I had really turned the page. It only happened three times tops but still you start noticing that there could have been some trimming done.

Great book, cheap book, fun read.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earth Abides.