Jenifer's Reviews > The Scarlet Dagger

The Scarlet Dagger by Krystle Jones

Jul 14, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, young-adult
Read in December, 2011

The Scarlet Dagger is a fun dystopian young-adult paranormal romance...perfect for a quick easy read. The story is set in what I believe to be the near future after an apocalyptic event that divides the world into two sectors (vampire and human). The heroine of the book is a 17 year old girl and there is quite a bit of action with her kicking some serious butt. There is also the beginnings of a nice romance (this is the first of a series so I imagine, we'll be seeing the romance develop over time)

I really enjoyed the first 3/4 of the book and liked the author's new spin on vampires and human/vampire relations with regards to fear and prejudice but I was disappointed with the final 1/4 of the book. It seemed to me that it was wrapped up too quickly, with too many details left out, making it seem disjointed and almost like a completely different book. Now, that being said, I would still recommend The Scarlet Dagger because the first 3/4 of the book is worth a read. I'll definitely be giving the second book in the series a try with the hope that the author is able to get back to the writing of the middle portion of this book and will spend more time with the story rather than trying to cram the last chapter or two full of revelations and high action.

I gave the book four stars but because I was so disappointed in the ending. I do foresee good things in the future from this author, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scarlet Dagger.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica B I loved your review Jenifer. I definitely agree that we had very similar ideas about this book. I'm hoping the next one is better!