Robyn's Reviews > Becoming Odyssa: Epic Adventures on the Appalachian Trail

Becoming Odyssa by Jennifer Pharr Davis

Dec 09, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, travel, appalachian-trail
Read from December 08 to 09, 2011

I just started this book and was in tears in 5 minutes. Mostly because the topic is so close to my heart - a woman's journey on the Appalachian Trail. I just finished my 2nd hike on the AT in early September and already feel the pull to return. I love the way Jen describes her initial excitement and fears. She's clear about her mistakes and learning curves. So far, her descriptions are spot on. It's a difficult read for me because I miss the trail so much; it is such a part of my being and history. Now I need to be settled and doing other things but I feel I'm always planning how I can do another hike. For now, I will live vicariously through someone else's experience.

Next day: won and done. This was an easy read but mostly because, like the AT, I was compelled to keep moving. I started it last night and finished it this morning. I cried in the beginning - excited and completely relating to Jen's anticipation - and I cried when it ended. I wanted to immediately pack my pack and head east. Again - for the billionth time - shed my things and pursue the life of aesthetic simplicity. Jen nails it - she describes the pain, the euphoria, the trepidation, the exhaustion and the ultimate joy. It's all here. The beauty of my life is that former thru-hikers will always have the trail experience in their heart. We can always return.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming Odyssa.