Angela's Reviews > Chimichanga

Chimichanga by Eric Powell

Sold!

I think this was my favorite graphic novel of the year. Here's why:

From the first glance, you're not quite sure what you're getting into with that little bearded girl and the "monster" on the cover. What you will discover is a wonderful story that speaks to individuality, strength of character, self-esteem, self-worth, friendship, and community. Did I mention that it's funny? And delightful?

Lula is a little bearded girl who lives and works at the circus. Chimichanga is her spastic monsterish-looking friend. He has a little bit of a temper, but is protective and kind to Lula. These two make a great pair, as both are perceived of as outcasts despite thinking highly of themselves. When trouble comes (witches, lawyers, evil-doers, money-grubbers) it's their individual strengths that save the day.

Laugh with Lula, cry with Lula Either way, you will end up loving this bearded little girl like you'd have never have guessed.

Recommended as read-aloud for ages 5 & up, for young readers already familiar with the graphic novel format, and anyone who loves the magic that results when an author/illustrator makes a child's vision come alive.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chimichanga.