Jan C's Reviews > Unraveling Anne

Unraveling Anne by Laurel Saville

May 25, 12

bookshelves: biography
Read from December 07, 2011 to May 25, 2012

I'll try this again - my comnputer decided I didn't want to write a review.

I remembered Anne Ford - or at least her name.

In life, stuff happens. And it happened to Anne Ford and to her children, by being part of her circle. Now, part of it is the fact that she was essentially an alcoholic, with problems on the side.

It may be that we also have an unreliable narrator. I had some concern that she was only looking on the dark side - there had to be some good times. My mother, too, was the daughter of alcoholics. She had never talked very much about life with an alcoholic (she didn't live with her all of the time).

What shocked me was to find out how long it took Laurel to find something to be proud about - she found out that her grandfather had done some important work as an airplane architect. And how long it took her to find out what Anne's life had really been like before it fell off the skids.

I would probably actually give this book 3.5.

Well written, but I think she spends too long on the dark side.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unraveling Anne.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane S. (new)

Diane S. I broought this one home from the library today. Let me know what you think of it when you are finished.

Jan C I just got it on the kindle yesterday. I think it was the daily deal ($1.99). It sounded really interesting.

Kind of bordering on Jeannette Walls' book The Glass Castle, which I'm still reading.