Isabel (kittiwake)'s Reviews > The Persistence of Vision

The Persistence of Vision by John Varley

Jun 12, 2012

Read in April, 2012 , read count: 2

The majority of the short stories in this book are set in a future where man has spread out into the solar system with the help of advanced technology, which allows humans to enhance themselves to exist even in the hostile heat and atmospheric pressure of Venus. Just about anything about the the human body can be changed quickly and easily by the medicos. A change of sex can be done on a whim and is hardly even worth commenting on in Varley's future. Although their world is so different from our own, the protagonists are still very much human and easy to identify with. The title story which ends the book, is very different, the thought-provoking story of a man's stay in a community of deaf-blind people and their new methods of communication.

I especially liked "The Phantom of Kansas"and "The Black Hole Passes". The only story that I have definitely read before is "In the Bowl", although I may have read "The Phantom of Kansas" before, as it seemed vaguely familiar at times.

Update on re-reading this book nine years later in 2012. This time my favourites were "Air Raid" and "The Black Hole Passes".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Persistence of Vision.

05/01/2012 page 288
100.0% "Finished. This time my favourites were "Air Raid" and "The Black Hole Passes"."