Isabel's Reviews > The Witches of Chiswick

The Witches of Chiswick by Robert Rankin

Dec 08, 11

Read in December, 2006

Gammon viewed the screen.
It was covered in little icons, in the shape of bats and pumpkins, cauldrons and black cats, and broomsticks. Below each of these were little titles: My incantations. Mu book of shadows. My favourite curses. My wart charms. And so on and so forth, and not very funny at all.
'Cool,' said Tim. 'What shall we go for?'
'If I might make a suggestion,' said Gammon. 'Select My World Domination Proposal.'
'Good choice that,' said Tim and he moved the silver star-shaped mouse.

Not part of the Brentford Trilogy, although it does feature a few of the same characters and takes place mostly in Brentford. Much more enjoyable than "Sex and Drugs and Sausage Rolls".

In 23rd century Brentford, Will Starling (a lover of all things Victorian) comes across a plot by the Chiswick Townswomen's Guild (actually a coven of witches) to suppress the information that they changed history at the end of the Victorian era. Will and his best friend Tim McGregor are threatened by murderous robots from the past and guided by Hugo Rune. They also meet Barry the Time Sprout and H.G Wells, and drink many pints of Large in the Flying Swan, which strangely enough has Neville the part-time barman in charge in both the 19th century and 23rd century.

I was very surprised when they went to Hugo Rune's manse - I had never suspected that at all (being deliberately vague to avoid spoilers).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witches of Chiswick.