Larry McCloskey's Reviews > Angel: After the Fall, Volume 1

Angel by Brian Lynch

Dec 11, 11

Read from December 08 to 11, 2011

It's no secret that the final season of "Angel" was rushed because of the network's decision to drop the show. So I was anxious to see where the story was going to go if Whedon had the time. I'm not convinced this is it.

Picking up a few months after the climactic battle against the hordes of hell that Wolfram and Hart unleashed in the series finale, Angel continues his struggles from within the belly of the beast but L.A. itself has gone to Hell - literally. Demons control the city, humanity has been enslaved and even the Senior Partners are unable to control the chaos. The storyline definitely has some potential, but the execution is a bit lacking.

The art is mediocre at best. I went in expecting some dropoff from the tv series because those involved with the show really made the characters their own and I knew that wouldn't come through on the page. The art became more of a distraction than I would have expected though. The direction some of the characters have taken as well, didn't thrill me. The plot is hazy at best, but it does end strong enough that I'll probably stick with the series for at least the next volume to see where things go.

So far, though, Angel needs to rebound from this fall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel.