Diayll's Reviews > Planesrunner

Planesrunner by Ian McDonald

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: read-by-aimeekay, pyr-publishing, arc
Recommended for: YA Fans of Action and Adventure, Science Fiction, Different Universes

Originally Reviewed at:Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Publisher for Honest Review
Reviewer: AimeeKay

Omg! This book is amazing! Seriously, I loved it. From the time spent in Everette Singh’s home world, to the time spent in the other parallel, I adored every minute of it. The story just picked up from the beginning and kept me drawn in ’til the last page. I’ll try to go into detail without spoiling it; obviously I will try to do all of this while containing my excitement. :-)

The story itself reminded me a little of the television show, Sliders, endless amounts of other Earths in parallel universes. All of them different, some with just a slight change other so different they are unrecognizable. Great premise for a show, great premise for a book too. Of course the similarities in the story pretty much end with the whole idea of parallel universes (but it still brought to mind Sliders).

The mechanics behind world travel made sense in the context of the story. Moreover, I really loved the amount of detail the author gave. Especially the little tidbits involving how the different worlds had evolved, where they splintered off from each other, and then the details of the worlds themselves. I felt like I was there in all the Londons right alongside Sen and Everette. The descriptions were immaculate, even how McDonald describes the gulls.

“…Gulls rose up…crying in their dead-soul voices.” A very apt description of Sea Gulls I must say.

I must note I had a slight problem with some of the Airish slang. Not the fact that it annoyed me simply that I sometimes had to stop for a minute to figure out from the context of the conversation what was actually happening or being said. Some words took me a few times to truly decipher, but overall – once I adjusted – the slang just added more texture and flavor to Sen’s London. It really helped to show even more of a difference between Sen’s world and Everettes. Plus, in the back of the book was a neat little extra showing where Airish slang came from and its ties to the real London in our world.

While this book can be enjoyed by adults, I think is also good choice for younger readers. As I said before the book drew me in and didn’t let me back out until the very last page. It is open ended, not a sheer drop cliffhanger, but you know that there is going to be more, so much more to the story. Only a few problems have been solved, many more have been created.

Still I think the book is worth picking up, and I can’t wait ’til the next book in the series comes out. Fingers crossed it’s sometime soon! I give this one 5 out of 5!

~’til next time all you palones and omis be sure to stay bona!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Planesrunner.