Rayne's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

I think this one is more of a 3.5

I really liked it, but it was way too predictable and, yes, I still don't like Sci-Fi that much, but it is really good. Review to come.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

04/10/2012 page 97
25.0% "And here I was, thinking I knew exactly where this was going."
04/11/2012 page 247
64.0% "Predictability aside, I think I'm kind of enjoying this one."

message 1: by Vane (new) - rated it 1 star

Vane J. I hate that I am like the only person who has not read this, but I'll read it soon... I hope. I already have it in my to-read-soon shelf.

Rayne Hey Vane!

This is a really fun series. It gets stronger with each book and they are really engaging reads. I never thought I would say this, considering Cinder and I had a rocky start and that I'm not much of a sci-fi person, but I'd definitely recommend the series.

Tsunami Vane wrote: "I hate that I am like the only person who has not read this, but I'll read it soon... I hope. I already have it in my to-read-soon shelf."

What Ruby said. I also was one of the few oddballs that didn't care to read it; this week I decided to remedy that. Now I'm on book two. I don't love sci-fi that much either and this book gets a tad too techy at times, but nothing too overwhelming or annoying, IMO.
The book is fantastic, once you start it you won't want to quit.

message 4: by Vane (new) - rated it 1 star

Vane J. Hmm, I'm not either a sci-fi fan, but since both of you (and many more people) enjoyed it, I might enjoy it as well. I'll start it as soon as I can (Holy Week?). I've also heard that books 2 and 3 are better than book 1.

Tsunami Yeah, most think the sequels are even better than Cinder, so far book 2 is going great.
Cinder is not without its flaws, and I agree with Rayne about its predictability, it is VERY predictable; but brain candy and badassery gallore.

message 6: by Rayne (last edited Mar 15, 2015 06:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rayne Cinder's only problem, for me, was the predictability of the plot, but the reason behind it became evident once I read the sequel. The author obviously intended for the story to get more and more complicated with each novel, as new characters were introduced and the plot thickened, and it's now obvious that the simplicity behind Cinder was the perfect platform to built the rest of the plot on because it allowed for key elements to be introduced and understood so the rest of the complications in the story would flow naturally and in a way that made perfect sense and didn't feel overwhelming. At least, that's how I saw it. And what's great is that, with each new novel, Meyer introduces a great set of fascinating characters, amazing heroines, and all without taking away from those that we met in the previous book. The series is truly fantastic. And yeah, she does get a bit techy sometimes, but it's not unmanageable. And Tsu's right: it is very addictive.

message 7: by Vane (new) - rated it 1 star

Vane J. Oooh, I'm excited for this book! Yes, I'll read it as soon as I can because I've just started my classes and I don't have time. *sighs*

Tsunami Vane wrote: "Oooh, I'm excited for this book! Yes, I'll read it as soon as I can because I've just started my classes and I don't have time. *sighs*"

Welcome to the club. :/

message 9: by Rayne (last edited Mar 15, 2015 06:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rayne Ah. We all know the pain of that. It's taking me over a week to finish a single book lately. My heart breaks into tinier and tinier little pieces with each day that goes by and I'm not able to open up a book that's not Law related, but well, here's to hoping Summer gets here soon. Hope you like the book once you get to it! Good luck with your classes!

message 10: by Vane (new) - rated it 1 star

Vane J. I'm just happy if a day can pass with me not opening a physics (kill me) or a biology (big fat ones) book... but well, if I don't have the need to open one of those, I'll be reading one of the books for my enjoyment.