Victoria's Reviews > The Departed

The Departed by Shiloh Walker

Dec 08, 2011

Read from April 08 to 11, 2012

Fantastic read! What a gripping and intense read.

Shiloh does it again. I first read Shiloh with THE MISSING which one might consider the first book in this line. I think THE DEPARTED is fine as a stand alone book. Yes, the characters are first brought to us in THE MISSING but with THE DEPARTED Shiloh sticks firm with the characters at hand. Characters from THE MISSING are brought up but they never come into this story. Shiloh also does a fantastic job of not overwhelming the reader with constant background information. She brings things up as they become relevant and she does not over state things over and over again.

Taylor is the head of an FBI psychic unit that solves crimes by many means including communicating with the victims/the dead. Dez is a member of the unit who is spoken to by the departed (ghosts that have unresolved issued). The two of them are also attracted to one another but won't act upon it because of the work relationship.
When Dez is nearly killed while saving a child with Taylor he becomes overly concerned. He even takes her home from the hospital and they act on their feelings. Afterwards Taylor can't deal so he tells her to take 3 months off. She quits.

After 18 months and working non-stop helping the departed, Dez ends up in Taylor's home town addressing things with a teenage murder victim. Taylor also happens to be on vacation in his home town at the same time. He is there to pay homage to his dead little sister.

I'm not saying any more other than I'm one of those that solves the mystery very fast and with around 90% accuracy. Shiloh got me! Didn't see Taylor's wrap up and glad I didn't.

Excellent read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Departed.