Erica's Reviews > Arcania

Arcania by Liz Maverick

Dec 08, 2011

Read from December 08 to 09, 2011

Arcania by Liz Maverick was a super cool book. It was fantasy, but definitely had a bit of a sci-fi feel to it for me! I loved the characters and the plot. Arcania was a great read and start to a series, and will only take off from here.

When I first started reading, I was a bit confused. It took a bit of reading and then I was able to more fully grasp what was going on. The set up of the story is very intriguing, so I can’t wait to see where the story will continue to go. Certain aspects of the plot were not as developed as much as I would have liked, but I’m hoping those will be sorted out in future books.

The world was super cool as well. I would love to know more about the different planes and Arcania, as I didn’t get a real great idea of what it was like. It was part of the experience I feel like, since Adia is so lost and not filled in on all the happenings, so I was discovering things along with her. As Adia grows in Arcania, I am super intrigued to see more about the world, the plots, and the Ether.

I really liked the characters. The only one I wasn’t crazy about was Minka, something about her was just off for me. Finola, Grey, and Seger were hands down the best characters of the book. I loved all three, and while I liked the other characters, they were just too awesome. I really hope to see a lot more of them in the next book. Adia was an interesting main character; I hope she grows a lot as the series continues, as she was a bit weak at times. It was almost a bit cliche with the “my sister is the talented one and I will be the under achiever”.

Needless to say I am very excited for book 2! Its release cannot come fast enough. The ending was a killer – the plot is built, and I cannot say how awesome I feel the next book will be. Arcania for me had a few bumpy spots, yet for me, all of that was forgiven with the awesome plot and the wonderful characters. For the most part while I was reading I just wanted to read more and find out what was happening, what was next, and who was behind what.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arcania.

12/08/2011
18.0% "interesting..."
12/09/2011
100.0% "Wait, what? That's the END!?"