Sesana's Reviews > Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia

Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka

Feb 10, 12

bookshelves: adventure, cover-love, comics, fantasy, gods, mythology, re-read, superhumans
Read in February, 2012

You could consider this Greg Rucka's audition for the job of regular Wonder Woman writer. After reading The Hiketeia, it was a foregone conclusion that he'd get it eventually.

I first read this book right after it first came out. It was getting a lot of buzz, for the Batman vs. Wonder Woman showdown, for the plot borrowing from (somewhat fictionalized) ancient Greek customs, for that awesome cover, but mostly for being a really good Wonder Woman story. It's all true.

There's a grim inevitability that haunts the story from the first panel. Diana herself points it out: tragedies are set in stone before they even really begin. And so it is here. From the moment that Danielle requests her protection, the rest of the story is written. Diana could have denied her, yes, but why would she? Danielle was a woman in need of help, and Diana is Wonder Woman. And so that sets up the conflict between doing the right thing, doing the just thing, doing the honorable thing, and which is which.

The story mostly works on that deeper level, but there's plenty of action, too. Mostly in the form of Wonder Woman taking down Batman. Satisfying, even if Batman's side in the argument is at least as sympathetic as Diana's.

The art was, for the most part, lovely. I liked the mosaic elements that were scattered through the book. I also can't say enough good about that cover, which quotes a panel near the end of the book.

Wonder Woman is a hero that I want very much to love, but I don't really know where to begin with her. This is as good of a place as any, maybe even one of the best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonder Woman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Although it wouldn't have worked in this story, It would have been very amusing if batman was the version frank miller used in all star batman and robin

Sesana Ha! Yes, it would be very satisfying to see that version of Batman get taken down.

message 3: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael It sure would be!
All star batman: I'm the goddam...
POW!!