Curtis Butturff's Reviews > Children of the Mind

Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card

Dec 14, 11

Read from December 08 to 14, 2011

I'm not sure I'd really compare it to the first book or the previous volumes for that matter. There is a lot you can read between the lines by translating xenophobia into the frame of thought people use to generate genocides. Turning the object of hatred into something other than human is an old ploy of political warmaking as well as rationalizations that greater force and killing saves lives in the long run by ending a war. It's questions like that and Hiroshima is addressed directly in this one and repeatedly with both sides of the coin represented.

If I had say I'd suspect Card falls more into the anti-Nuking of Hiroshima and anti-War as that is the sentiment of Ender who is after all the main character.

It also has a very existential side with the concept of fundamental force of nature that begins at the subatomic level in the binding of matter rising all the way up to form the non-physical essence sentience. What he's getting at in the book is the nature of energy and suggestion that it is life and the root of all existence on some level. There's plenty of other angles to take from it but that's one very broad one.

I liked the book and try not to write spoilers as to plot etcetera but with Card in this series of books that a fairly straight forward thing if you know how to draw out the philosophical elements. Not really a book version of an action movie though obviously as to fully appreciate it you probably have first understand that what it's about goes beyond the yarn itself into deeper matters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of the Mind.