Johanna's Reviews > Lone Star

Lone Star by Josh Lanyon

Dec 12, 11

bookshelves: ebook, josh-lanyon, m-m
I own a copy

I loved this story. I loved its delicate hues - the light and the dark ones. I liked the idea of a homecoming. And I liked the fact that the title Lone Star had multiple meanings for it - even a final one being revealed in the very end of the story.

I was fascinated with Mitch: him being so control freak and workaholic, his memories about his youth and his troubled relationship with his father... and the nostalgic feel of him meeting all these people who used to mean so much to him. I had all these motherly feelings towards him, because I felt he needed to be saved - and fast. What can I say? Josh Lanyon captured Mitch's obsession with his work and career as a ballet dancer perfectly.

In the end the story left me thinking about the second chances we too rarely get. It happened with Mitch and Web, but not with Mitch and his father. There was a slightly sad undertone to this story - and maybe a lesson to learn? I kept thinking how hasty actions and decisions that appear so small and innocent at the time can have a huge effect to the person's future. That is scary for real. I'm afraid I recognize some of my own traits in Mitch, temper and workaholism not being the nicest ones.

I became very fond of Mitch right from the start, but in the end it was Web who really warmed my heart. His love for Mitch was so solid and sure. And the way he petted Mitch and took care of him... it was adorable. And it was fascinating to notice the point when Web clearly decided not to let Mitch go for the second time.

I'm beginning to see that Josh Lanyon writes my favorite Christmas stories. This one was beautiful and touching. And it's always nice to have a small mystery in a Christmas story - magically appearing and disappearing reindeer in this case. Bonus points for that magical touch! ;)

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lone Star.