Jeanette's Reviews > The Daring Book for Girls

The Daring Book for Girls by Andrea J. Buchanan

Jul 02, 2008

bookshelves: nonfiction, middle-grade, 2008
Read in June, 2008

The Daring Book for Girls is a guide to fun and adventure for pre-teen through early teen girls. Often this book sent me on a trip down memory lane to my own childhood. All the versions of tag, slumber party games, sleep outs in the backyard and roller skating, amongst many other things, reminded me of all the fun things I did as a young girl.
When I first started reading I was marking all the things I liked with sticky notes. It did not take me long to realize that I was going to burn through a lot of sticky notes doing that.
I really enjoyed the sections on Queens of the Ancient World as well as the section on history of writing and writing in cursive italics and the section on how to be a spy. (Really to write all my favorite parts, I would have to pretty much copy the table of contents).
This book has just about everything; pressing flowers, math tricks, public speaking, rules of many games from softball to darts, info on finance and on and on.
There were a few things I didn't like, and it took some waffling for me to decide what to rate this book because of the few things I didn't like. The section on boys was lacking. I was not sure what they were trying to say. Are boys bad, good or neither? I was also pretty disappointed to see the book Like Water for Chocolate mentioned in a book for pre-teen girls. I've read this book and it has some pretty adult themes and is not a book that I think pre-teen girls should be reading.
Overall, I was totally into The Daring Book for Girls and thought it was lots of fun. I am going to be adding it to my library. Fun for me now and fun for my daughter in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Daring Book for Girls.