Mohammed's Reviews > Samurai Executioner, Vol. 4: Portrait of Death

Samurai Executioner, Vol. 4 by Kazuo Koike

Dec 10, 11

bookshelves: manga-other-comic-books
Read from December 08 to 11, 2011

Oh the horror of only 6 volumes left to read of this historical drama.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Samurai Executioner, Vol. 4.

12/08/2011 page 99
33.0% "I like this thick, big as a fist manga book size from Dark Horse. I can put one of these volumes in my jacket pocket and read it on every boring long bus trip to library/Uni."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karl I need to get some of these vols. I love Lone Wolf And Cub.

message 2: by Mohammed (last edited Dec 08, 2011 06:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mohammed This series is even more serious social realism look on Edo period Japan. The first story in this volume is 117 pages long about few Samurai soldiers who were without any office, work as policeman,guards so they didnt get enough rice/money to avoid being utterly poor. In Peace time who needs warriors. Still thanks to caste code system of Samurai meant they were not allowed to work on farms, make any living other than being poor Samurai without money,work.

Those times was not only hard on poor peasant. They were alteast allowed to earn for their own living.

"The Bitter world of Samurai" it is called in the story.

message 3: by Edward (last edited Dec 12, 2011 07:07AM) (new)

Edward Erdelac I got the first volume of these after finishing Lone Wolf and Cub and I really need to get back into it. I recall the hostage story of the first volume reminded me a little of the opening of The Seven Samurai. You're right, SE does read much more serious and gritty than LW and C. I'm a huge fanboy of Koike though - actually got to meet him at Comic Con a few years ago and thrust my copy of LWaC at him. He might've signed it 'Get bit, gaijin' for all I know, but it was worth it. Wasn't Dark Horse supposed to put out the sequel to LW and C that centered on Daigoro?

message 4: by Mohammed (last edited Dec 12, 2011 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mohammed Edward wrote: "I got the first volume of these after finishing Lone Wolf and Cub and I really need to get back into it. I recall the hostage story of the first volume reminded me a little of the opening of The Se..."

You got to meet Koike ? So cool :) Im really happy a legend, talented writer like him is alive today. I thought he had passed like Kojima.

It gets less action revenge like LWC and more serious historical drama like Kurosawa after the first volume. The first volume didnt have its own voice as much as when i read volume after another.

Funny enough about the Samurai Seven comparison you made. I have thought the same many times. Similar styles of stories. I wish Kurosawa had made adaptation of their mangas. LWC old films are b-films that is more generic sword films.

message 5: by Edward (new)

Edward Erdelac Actually, I read somewhere Kojima adapted Kurosawa a couple of times...

I based the prison in my feudal Japan zombie novella Night of The Jikininki on Fukuyama prison, partly as depicted in that one issue of Lone Wolf and Cub, I think the one with the sword tester.

Mohammed Edward wrote: "Actually, I read somewhere Kojima adapted Kurosawa a couple of times...

I based the prison in my feudal Japan zombie novella Night of The Jikinink..."

Yeah i read that too in Kojima bio page in these volumes. I must read Kurosawa stories with his amazing art. I was hoping for the other way when it comes to those two and adaptations :)

Night of The Jikininki sounds like cool story. I thought instantly of Asaemon Yamada the hero of this manga slashing the walking dead in Fukuyama.

By the way do you remember if Asaemon dies in Lone Wolf and Cub ? Which is weird since he is the hero of this series and we see him first fight Ogami Itto.

message 7: by Edward (new)

Edward Erdelac He does! I assumed Samurai Executioner was a prequel.

message 8: by Mohammed (last edited Dec 12, 2011 04:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mohammed Edward wrote: "He does! I assumed Samurai Executioner was a prequel."

Yeah it must be prequel. I forget his end in LWC because this series is so personal to him but its also much bigger issues its about.

When i first saw him in Lone Wolf and Cub he was just some guy that died and didnt know he was the lead of anither great manga. Shame how it ends for him in LWC in hindsight after you like him in this series.

Karl Hey Mo, Can you read any of these independently of each other?