Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Obsidian

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

All my ratings have been pretty high lately, mostly because I choose very carefully what to read next. I value my time too much to purposely read books I know I won’t like. So what on earth possessed me to pick up this book after the Half-Blood debacle, I have no idea.

Most of my friends loved Obsidian and I respect that, I really do. I can even see why, the ingredients are all there: a gorgeous, mean guy and a plain, book-nerdish girl, a love-hate relationship between our protagonists, hero’s perky sister that becomes the heroine’s best friend, the evil ex-girlfriend that spits fire every time our heroine gets close, two clueless friends and a mostly absent single parent… need I go on? However, even when you figure all this out, Armentrout finds a way to sneak up on you. Every now and then I’d lose myself in a funny piece of dialogue or an especially steamy scene, but it wouldn’t take long for me to remember what I was really reading and why it was making me so mad. But let’s start at the beginning.

Three years after the death of her father, Katy’s mother decides that it’s time to move on and that, in order to do that, they need to sell everything they own and move from sunny Florida to a town of about 500 inhabitants in the middle of nowhere, West Virginia. On her first day in the new house, Katy meets her next door neighbors, twins Dee and Daemon. While she and Dee instantly hit it off, Daemon acts like a total jerk and makes some cryptic comments about ‘Katy’s kind’. He is, of course, absolutely gorgeous (Ohmigod, he’s so gorgeous, how could he possibly be attracted to plain ol’ me? I must be imagining things.), and very mysterious. As the time passes, Kat starts noticing that something is not quite right with the way Daemon, Dee and their friends are behaving, and then he saves her from an attacker and well… you know the rest.

Apparently, aliens are the new vampires. No, seriously. Daemon is Edward 2.0 – a moodier, meaner and prettier version of our dear Mr. Cullen. To be honest, this entire book is just another Twilight rip-off. Not flat-out stolen like Half-Blood, but not that far, either. That alone wouldn’t really upset me much since it's not the first and it certainly won't be the last, but what I found unforgivable was that Armentrout felt the need to make fun of Twilight while writing the exact same story.

And when he spoke, it wasn’t out loud. It was in my head. This is what we look like. We are beings of light. Even in human form, we can bend light to our will. There was a pause. As you can see, I don’t look like a giant insect. Or… sparkle. Even in my head I could hear the disgust on that last one.

See? So rude. It’s true that Daemon doesn’t sparkle, but he IS made of light. Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, you should kick pot’s ass.

I’m sure this book will have many fans, but I’m afraid my short and turbulent relationship with Ms. Armentrout is now over.

367 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obsidian.

12/11/2011
6.0% ""We're twins. Even I want to kill him on days that end with a Y." Lol." 1 comment
12/11/2011
48.0% "First Vampire Academy, and now Twilight as well?"

Jasprit I'm starting this later :) how are you finding it?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I haven't started yet, unfortunately. I had some work to do, but now I'm off to bed to read. We can compare notes anytime :)

Jasprit I'm going to make a start now too! Keep me updated :)

Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner Are you enjoying it?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Yikes. So far, not so much. But I'm still hoping that'll change. :)

♥Rachel♥ Oh, Maja, that's too bad you didn't care for this one that much. I thought it was a lot of fun. :)

message 7: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Daemon is Edward 2.0 – a moodier, meaner and prettier version of our dear Mr. Cullen.

Moodier than Eddie? Is it even possible to be more emo?;)

message 8: by Maja (The Nocturnal Library) (last edited Dec 12, 2011 04:37AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Rachel, I really am happy you enjoyed it. Armentrout just isn't for me.

Tatiana, he is borderline abusive at times, and all dreamy and poetic at others.

Steph Sinclair Oh, geez another Twilight 2.0? I was actually really looking forward to this one thanks to all the positive reviews. Now, I can safely remove it from that shelf.

message 10: by Maja (The Nocturnal Library) (last edited Dec 12, 2011 05:52AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) You should still try, Stephanie. Maybe it's just me. You might end up liking it after all. But I was really upset over the Half-Blood thing and another rip-off was just too much for me.

Steph Sinclair I'll probably still give it a go, but I'm not as excited about it anymore. After reading Carrier of the Mark, my patience for yet another Twilight 2.0 is very limited.

Isamlq Maja wrote: "You should still try, Stephanie. Maybe it's just me. You might end up liking it after all. But I was really upset over the Half-Blood thing and another rip-off was just too much for me."

oops... i was planning on reading this.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Stephanie, I wish I had the energy compare Half-Blood and Vampire Academy the way you did Twilight and CotM. That was one detailed and awesome review.
This definitely has a Twilight vibe. Get this: the first time he really uses his powers in front of her, it's to save her from a speeding truck. :D

Isamlq, who knows? Maybe you'd like it, so many people did.

Steph Sinclair Maja wrote: "Stephanie, I wish I had the energy compare Half-Blood and Vampire Academy the way you did Twilight and CotM. That was one detailed and awesome review.
This definitely has a Twilight vibe. Get this..."

Bahahaha! OMG! Some authors are just shameless.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Awwww, come on, don't be like that. What's important it that he doesn't sparkle! :D :D

Steph Sinclair Well, at least there's that. Lol.

But considering he's made out of light, wouldn't his face light up in a beacon of rainbows depending on the way the sun hits his face? Lol.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Hah, probably. She'll get away with it again, though. I'm surprised Richelle Mead didn't sue her over Half-Blood, but this is less obvious.
She stole entire conversations for Half-Blood. It was creepy.

Ariana So I'll probably stop reading it since I didn't like it from the beginning (If a guy treated me like that I would have freaking punched him in the face, unearthly gorgeous or not) and I don't see how it could improve based on this review.
Oh, I am so sick of all these twilight-ish books >:|

Steph Sinclair Conversations?! Wow. That's bad. How do those kinds of books continue to get published?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I know! I was very surprised that it got published.

Limonessa How cool is it to have a co-blogger who reads all the crappy books for me? Mwah! I'll read all the vanillas for you, hon.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) You better! One more vanilla YA romance and I'll have to stick a pencil in my eye. :D

♥Rachel♥ Sorry you didn't like this one Maja! :(

Giselle Aww sorry you didn't like it more Maja.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Thanks, ladies. I really tried to like it, but it just didn't work. :(

Arlene Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, you should kick pot’s ass.

LMAO! Now that is funny. :P

Sorry you didn't care for this one Maja. Very honest review. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Hah! Thanks, Arlene! :D

I feel kind of awful about it because all of my friends like it, and here I am, raining on your parade. Sorry. :(

Arlene Oh don't be sorry!! That's the great thing about perceptions and preferences... everyone's is different. You had very valid reasons for not liking the book. I respect that. Very well written review. :)

Reynje Oh, this does not bode well. (Actually, the fact that I'm only 9% in and ready to give up does not bode well. What I've read so far is.. making my skin crawl.)

Well said, Maja. You always write such balanced and thoughtful reviews.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Arlene, you are the best. I mean it.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Reynje. I didn't know you picked this up, but knowing you, I'm not surprised that you don't like it. Still, it always makes me sad when these things happen. And thanks so much, darling.

message 31: by Reynje (last edited Dec 12, 2011 02:10PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Reynje I just started last night. I've been in the mood for "fun" books lately, but honestly I think this might end up making me more cross than entertained. Sigh.

Anyway, I'll give it a little more time. I actually hate giving up on books, so I'm trying to think positively :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) That was my intention also, but I ended up being very very angry. Especially after what she did with Half-Blood. I have yet to see a single original sentence from this woman. :)

I really hope you end up at least having fun with it, though.

message 33: by Jo (new)

Jo I'm so bored of hot mean guys and plain (notreallyplainbecauseeveryonefanciesher) bookish girls.
Yawn.
Also... Daemon? WHY DO WE NEED THE EXTRA VOWEL?!

Great review Maja, I will approach with caution.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I'd advise you to run for your life. :D

And honestly, there were so many ridiculous things, his name was the least of my worries.
It's not something you'd like, Jo. I'm 100% sure.

message 35: by Jo (new)

Jo Hahaha ok.
This book is stricken unless I find myself bookless which I'm 100% sure I won't be... ever.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) It's just that I know you and I know what annoys you and every single thing is in this book.

message 37: by Jo (new)

Jo Oh gosh.
OK.... officially never reading this book.
Not even for a "I want a book that is so terrible it becomes good" read.

:-D
Thanks love!

Samantha Hmmm, I've tried an adult book by this author and it left me with no desire to try anything else, YA or not. At least now you know.

message 39: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Marr Good ol' Maja telling it the way it is! I'm glad nothing ever escapes you ;-)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Samantha, yep. After these two books, I have no desire to read anything else by her.

Shirley, you... you broke my heart! Not talking to you! (view spoiler)

And it's not really true that nothing escapes me. I tend to forget names of characters while I'm still reading a book. :D

message 41: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Marr Too bad Maja because I love you *clings on tight* Don't you remember the time you, Lisa O, Reynje and me went up to The Pagoda and we got drunk and flew paper planes, yes YES? And (view spoiler)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Of course I remember! If I was to make a list of my favorite drunken parties, that one would be right on top. I'd get embarrassingly drunk and fly paper planes with you ladies anytime.

message 43: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn Okay weird I just saw the cover for Onyx book 2 and it looks JUST like the cover for Significance. Look at both covers. Of course the guy in one has a tat but in the other but look how both covers the models are both in the same pose and same color clothing and same clothing. Only thing is Onyx you can see the both people and Significance their heads are chopped off and the edges are blurry around them.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Jennifer, there's actually a list of similar/same covers somewhere on GoodReads, but I can't find it now. I'm really not that surprised.

message 45: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn I kept thinking I was going crazy looking at Onyx cover but with a difference book title. LOL Well, interesting tid bit. :o)

Harshini  Ramanujam currently reading it. But don't like it that much. I was expecting the aliens to be aliens not Edward Cullen, lol

message 47: by Nuning (new) - added it

Nuning i bet she read or watched I am number four and decide to make a rip off with twilights touch. I agree with you, she's kind of rude making fun of twilight

Rachel Costa The biggest difference between Obsidian and Twilight for me (besides everything else) is that the characters actually have personalities. That in itself makes them two entirely different stories. Sparkling versus glowing argument aside, how else do you feel they are the same story? If similar appearances are the only criteria, you might want to stay away from the paranormal genre in general.

message 49: by thuy (new) - rated it 4 stars

thuy thanks for the review. i just finished obisdian and i actually really liked it. but i understand what you're saying and did notice some similarities between it and the "t" word. however, i did find armentrout's characters much more interesting and had more personality. i also really enjoy the love/hate type romances so this was right up my alley. thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Veronica I like your review. I did not like obsidian either. The novel was slow paced, cliched in spite of recommendations and referrals. Sure i laughed at some conversations but i only got too bored. I felt dissapointed at how the author kinda ruined a potential story.

« previous 1