Angel's Reviews > Fireseed One

Fireseed One by Catherine Stine

Dec 08, 2011

liked it
Read from December 08 to 20, 2011 — I own a copy

I didn’t really know what I was getting myself into when I agreed to read Fireseed One. All I knew was that it sounded really interesting, and I’ve wanted to jump-start my fantasy reads for a long time now. So I am very happy to say that I really enjoyed Fireseed One, and was really impressed with the author, Catherine Stine.
Fireseed One takes place in a future world. Global warming has taken place, and everything is far from perfect. People are quite literally burning to death from heat levels way above normal, and most are starving. It was a sad look on just what could happen to the world, and I really enjoyed reading about a future that wasn’t so bright, like most futuristic books will have you believe.
I loved the illustrations in this novel. I liked that the author not only showed you in words what things looked like, but showed you with actual images. They were often beautiful (just like the book’s cover), or kind of freaky (which was intended). Either way, I loved them, and got excited whenever an image showed up on the page.
Our hero, Varik, was a nice character to read about. It is not often that I read YA books from the male perspective, and when I do, I am always a little let down. That is not the case with Fireseed One. Varik was interesting, semi-witty, and although he could sometimes start to fade into the background of forgettable characters, he always redeemed himself, and I liked him.
Our heroine, Marisa, was nice, too. I didn’t really like her at first, but she grew on me.
She was strong, brave about most things, and really out there. I like a girl who can speak her mind.
Varik’s friend, Audun, was easily my favorite character. I loved how witty and loyal he was, and I was sad he was absent for most of the middle and end of the book.

Fireseed One is a true fantasy-adventure! It grabbed me from the first chapter and didn’t let go. I was always left wanting more at the end of each chapter, and I was forced to read well into the night because of this book. I love when that happens. It was thrilling, exciting, and an overall great story. Catherine Stine is a wonderful story teller, and I enjoyed her writing style greatly.
My only complaint is the relationship between Varik and Marisa. I didn’t understand it.
Sure—every book needs a little romance, and don’t get me wrong; Fireseed One did not overdo the romance—but I just wasn’t feeling it. It seemed to me that one minute, Varik really disliked Marisa (and for good reason, too!) and then the next—he was kissing her! I must have missed the sudden growth of feelings between them, but still. I would have liked for them to get to know each other a bit more before that happened.
Also, some of the dialogue was kind of awkward, or just over the top. Varik often said things that I would have expected Marisa to say, because, well… she’s a girl. Needless to say, Varik could say some pretty funny things.

Overall, Fireseed One will have you on the edge of your seat, cheering for these characters every step of the way. It won’t let you go until the last page, and will leave you wondering just what will happen next. Even now, the story is still fresh in my mind, and refusing to let go!
If you’re a fan of fantasy that isn’t over the top, action-adventure with a bit of romance—read this book. You won’t be sorry. Catherine Stine is an author to look out for, and shines brightly with this stunning thriller.

“There’s only so far you can pry into someone’s soul before they protest. But I have to say Marisa builds her walls faster than anyone I’ve ever met, and, as close as I’ve gotten to her, it still brings me down.” –Fireseed One

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fireseed One.