Annie Brewer's Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

I can not say it enough---I LOVE a story from the guy's POV!!! It is so much more powerful than from the girls. As a girl myself, I know how we think-feel-want. But there is nothing sexier than getting into the guy's head and witnessing their vulnerable side, especially since we the readers get to see it all first before the girl does. Ahhh, it's a beautiful thing! And Aiden? He's a beautiful guy! God, he's beautiful and lucious. And sexy. And dammit, I can not shut up! Okay, well I liked this tidbit from him. It was wonderful! Now I am wanting Deity so bad!!!! It can't come soon enough!! :(

Merged review:

Loved this book so much!!!! Review to come!

I have my eye on this book for a couple months now. Mainly the cover just stuck out and it was begging me to get into it. I tried reading it once but sadly was distracted by a couple of other books. I bought it on my nook and kept going back to it wanting to read it. Geez, you'd think I would have given in. I mean look at that cover. B*E*A*U*T*I*F*U*L! But nooooo, I kept skipping over it. Then I read Obsidian....OMG I was in love. It was like love at first sight. Well, mainly with Daemon that is. But the plot, the writing, the descriptions, the characters-it was like OMG, I couldn't put that book down. So, once I finished it-I was sad of course. I wanted more. More, more, more, more, MORE!!!! Armentrout has that affect on me apparently. But wait, we are talking about Half-Blood. DAMN! I am so confused! Okay, okay so I finally decided to read this one knowing how awesomely, amazingly, wonderfully, beautiful Armentrout's writing is. YAY! I finally finished it! *pats her back* And I loved this series just as much! Well done Jennifer, WELL DONE! You did not disappoint! So I will get on with my review now...

SYNOPSIS:

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck

Review:
I loved the whole Half-Blood, Pure-Blood concept. It was really neat. I started really liking Greek Mythology/Gods and such. It puts a great spin on it. The history was cool. The plot was fresh and entertaining and never bored me. I enjoyed it alot!

“I was gonna be super pissed in the afterlife if I died a virgin in this crap hole.”

I was a big fan of Alex from the get-go. I love her sense of humor and witty comments she throws out there. She is a kick ass heroine who is tough and doesn't take shit from anyone! Though that gets her in trouble from time to time because she doesn't know when to stop. I take that back, she does know when to stop but seems to enjoy fighting and getting in trouble. Despite her lack of effort to be a bigger person and walk away, I really liked her. Although I wanted to punch Lea in the face myself a few times! She is your typical "woe is me and I am perfect and better than everyone else and my shit don't stink" bitch who you just wanna shake until all of her arrogance and pissy attitude is out of her system. But what fun would that be if they didn't have a trouble maker in these books? But towards the end, you start to feel the slightest sympathy for her. I didn't care for her uncle much, he was kind of an asshole. Oh but her step-father was a prick, though I am sure he feels he is being protective of her bla bla bla. Then there is Seth, the Apollyon himself. I know people who are fan of him, though I didn't really like him much from the beginning. He was kinda annoying and was always in Alex's personal space. He kinda creeped me out.

“Are you lost, Lea? This isn't where they're handing out the free pregnancy tests.”~Alex

I loved Caleb. He was Alex's really sweet best friend who had a great sense of humor. He welcomed her back with open arms and never gave her shit about anything. He was understanding and a great person to talk to when you needed to vent or a shoulder to cry on. He reminded me of one of my best friends I had growing up in so many ways.

"Caleb stood up as I walked into the living room."You look hot."I scrunched up my face."You think this is hot?"He laughed as he turned toward the door."No"

And then there is the oh-so-gorgeous Aiden St Delphi!! *fans herself* Yes, I loved him about as much as I loved Daemon. They share similar personalities, except Aiden was never a dick. He is just a sweetheart and really loves Alex but since he is a Pure, they can't be together. Halfs and Pures are not supposed to mix their blood-which is a shame because DAMN, we all know she wants him too! Hell, I will take him! Haha. But really, he was my favorite part of this book. From the training sessions together to the steamy passion and deep connection they shared. He made me weak in the knees. Oh yes, that one moment of nothing but beautiful passion, passion, passion they shared. I can still picture the scene so vividly in my mind. *goosebumps* It was about time he shut up and kissed her... and then some. Geez, I was about to go all Jackie Chan on his ass! But the moment ended all too soon. Shit, why does that happen so often? Can't they have a few moments of forbidden love together without being interrupted? Ugh! I couldn't get enough of Aiden!!

“Hey,” I reached out and tapped the hand that rested next to my left leg. “you are--”
The hand that I tapped reached up and clasped mine. I froze as he threaded his finders through mine. “I’m what?”
Beautiful. Kind. Patient. Perfect. I said none of those things. Instead, I stared at his fingers, wondering if he knew he was holding my hand. “You’re always so….”
His thumb moved over the top of my hand. The balm made his fingers cool and smooth. “What?”
I looked up, and I was immediately snared. His stare, his soft touch along my hand was doing very strange things. I felt hot and dizzy, like I’d been out in the sun all day. All I could think about was how his hand felt on mine. Then, what his hand would feel like on other parts. I shouldn’t be thinking that at all.
Aiden was a pure.”

I would highly recommend this book! It was beautiful, exciting, heartbreaking, powerful and just. Perfect! Yep Jennifer Armentrout is now my favorite new author!! I am dying to get my hands on both Onyx(sequel to Obsidian) and Pure, the Half-Blood sequel. I am not sure I can make it, but I've got so many other books to keep me busy! So hurry up May and whatever month Pure comes out!!! I want them NOW!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

Quotes Annie Liked

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“ALEX: “How come you smile when you knock me down?”

AIDEN: “It’s the little things that make me happy.”

Aiden was a pure.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Everything could come to a crashing end for us if we were caught, but it didn’t matter. Right now, being with him seemed worth whatever consequence could come from it. This was right, like it was meant to be. There was no logical explanation for it.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“It was just a hug, but gods, it meant so much. It meant everything.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Then I should be relieved to know what I was told an hour ago is false. It wasn't you who yanked a girl--by her hair--out of chair in the common lounge area.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“People do the damndest things when they’re in love.”
tags: love

01/10/2012 "Okay so I am trying this again. I've already tried reading this once but kept getting interrupted by other books! Knowing now what a damn good author Jennifer is (after reading Obsidian and OBSESSING), I will not back down!! Good thing I have not read VA because I keep seeing reviews comparing the two. Yay! More obsessions coming! :)"
01/11/2012 "HOLY HELL!! Jennifer, you just might be my new favorite author!!! Two series in a row I fell in love with from the get-go. Damn!!! Awesome!! Lovin me some Aiden! Yay, so glad I got back to this one!!! <3" 8 comments
01/12/2012 "Gaaaah! I love Aiden, he is such a sweetheart and very sexy! Seth however is irritating me!! *sigh* love triangles..." 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Paola I really liked this book :o)

Annie Brewer I am in love with the cover!!! Gorgeous!!

Paola I know! this is the best looking paperback i've seen. Even the pages are thicker and nicer.

Annie Brewer I have it on my nook. I don't remember seeing it at the store!!

Paola I know I didn't see it at the store. I got on BN.com its a pretty large paperback and the pages inside are really nice quality. I've never seen a paperback this nice.

Holli So funny! I started this book this morning and finished it tonight! LOVED IT! If you like VA you'll love this one. Though I pretty much hated VA and Loved this one. Paola, ... you'll like it! ;)

Annie Brewer Never read Vampire Academy. Is this a vampire book? I am not too far yet. Geez you are a quick reader!! ;)

message 8: by Yousra (new) - added it

Yousra Ouahabi Hassani Wow, Holli!!! You're the first I've ever heard saying that she hated VA. Personally, they're on top of my fav series list. But tastes differ XD
By the way, Annie. How is this book? I've been eying it for a while now, is it good good?

Holli No it's not a Vampire book, ... it's about Greek Mythology but there are striking resemblances throughout the book that reminded me of VA, not enough to make me say it's a rip off, ... but just things here and there. I liked it a LOT better than VA. I gave my set of VA books away! ahahahahaaaaaaa

Holli Yousra wrote: "Wow, Holli!!! You're the first I've ever heard saying that she hated VA. Personally, they're on top of my fav series list. But tastes differ XD
By the way, Annie. How is this book? I've been eying..."

It just wasn't my cup of Tea, Yousra. My husband bought me the set when I saw how great the reviews were, but I simply just couldn't get into it. I read the first two books and then had to finally put it down. I think its because of how dysfunctional the relationships were. I didn't feel at least through the first two books that there was any real Love interest as much as there was lust. It just turned me off. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a shot, but I couldn't bring myself to read further than the first two.

Annie Brewer Yousra, it is pretty good!! I have had a slow start getting into books but it wasn't the book itself that was slow. My mind has been elsewhere. I swear, Forbidden has a done a job on me and I haven't been able to concentrate. Getting there though.

message 12: by Yousra (new) - added it

Yousra Ouahabi Hassani Ohhhhhh I can totally relate Annie!!! The same happened to me!! I think I didn't read for nearly a week after finishing Forbidden XD

Kristina Snyder O adore both guys in this book already.

♫♥✿LovLivLife Reviews✿♥♫ (Chasity) Wow. I want to read this too. Is it on the Author's website?

Annie Brewer Yep, it's on her website! It was really good!

♫♥✿LovLivLife Reviews✿♥♫ (Chasity) Awesome! I will have to head over and read it! Thanks!!

♫♥✿LovLivLife Reviews✿♥♫ (Chasity) Ugh, I just linked over using the website on the GR author page but it's not looking like it. Hmm!

Annie Brewer What?! The link is there on her website. Hmmm give me a sec, I will see what I can do.

♫♥✿LovLivLife Reviews✿♥♫ (Chasity) I googled it and found the site that way! Thanks! I wonder why the link on the GR page is no good.

Annie Brewer Idk...thats weird cause I got on it earlier. Glad you found it though!! Enjoy!! :)

Melissa  Paranormally Romanced Did you ever figure out where to get this. I would love the link.

Annie Brewer Okay you go to her GR page and her link to her blog is on there and will take you all the extra goodies!!! She's got all kinds of teasers and also Aiden's extra.

Melissa  Paranormally Romanced Ok thanks for the info..

message 25: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Okay, I started this one today and I'm already 1/3 of the way through thanks to MANY stollen moments when the kids were otherwise occupied! I may have to stay up VERY late tonight to finish...Jennifer seems to have that affect!! =)

Annie Brewer I know right!! She certainly has that effect on me!! I just love her writing and her characters!!!! *daydreams*

message 27: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Yeah, her writing continues to impress me and cause that whole "this book is attached to my hand" reaction. lol

Holli Hey Annie, ... I went to Jennifer's blog today and read both the takes from Aiden's POV and Daemon's point of view. You wanna know what song popped into my head while reading Daemon's? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annie Brewer What? What?!?!?

Holli Maroon Five with Christina Aguilera "Moves like Jaggar"

Annie Brewer OMG!!! That suits him perfectly!!!!!! Ahahahahahaha! Awesome!

Holli I can't stand the video, but the listen to the words to the song and SCORE! Perfect! :)

Annie Brewer Haha yea the words fit him perfectly!! He's got the moves like Jagger alright!! LOL

Annie Brewer Was there more from his POV than at the end of Obsidian?!?

Rebecca ♥ Kishan & Warner ♥ I know what you mean! How hot was the scene from Obsidian in Daemon's POV when he was nuzzling Katy in his sleep? OMG!

Annie Brewer OOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGG!!! Hot hot hot!!!!! I love Daemon! God, I loooooooove him!

Sandra i knew it wasn't just me. i love reading stories from guys POV its just awesome!

Annie Brewer Yay!!!! Oh no...I'd rather read a book from the guy's pov. I'm actually writing 2 books from 2 different guy's pov as part of my trilogy...first book out in December. :)

Sandra really?! cool i can't wait for them! write annie write!

Airah ♔ Great review Annie! Thanks for the add too. I'm dying to start another different series after Insurgent. And I've read mostly good things about this series. (though I read that this was a rip-off from VA -- i only read the first book but didn't like it that much. I hope this one's better. I'm crossing my fingers.) Well, I'm just wondering what to start with Armentrout books.. Is this more enjoyable than Obsidian? I haven't read that one too. I'm torn between the two series right now. And I'm almost finished with Insurgent. Thanks. Would really like to know what you think.

Annie Brewer Read this one first. I only read VA and I liked it but this series is so much better in my opinion. I love it so freakin much...probably top 2 series. Read it. But read Daimon first....