Lisa's Reviews > The Talisman

The Talisman by Stephen King

Dec 16, 11

bookshelves: 2011, kindle-baby, fantasy, gods-and-monsters, spooky-spooky-woo-woo, vamps-witches-wolves-oh-my
Read from December 08 to 15, 2011, read count: 1

I've been slowly working my way through King's back catalogue and have had a staggeringly good run but have now bumped up against an oddity - one that I haven't loved. At first glance I should have adored this as it has all of the ingredients that usually make up my kind of book crack: a young boy on a quest to save his mother (and the world) with alternate worlds, magic and lots of nods to my favourite literary works all making appearances, amongst other things, however in practice it fell flat.

Usually when I'm reading a Stephen King book I feel everything along with the characters whether they're good, bad, indifferent or plain crazy. Apart from for a few brief moments this didn't happen this time around. I felt the story telling was a little too black hat/white hat, with characters feeling more like caricatures than people (especially when it came to Speedy, Wolf, Sunlight Gardener/Osmond and Morgan Sloat) and the story was a little disjointed with me enjoying the real world sections far more than anything set in the Territories. Additionally, whilst there was rather a lot going on, there strangely felt like there wasn't quite enough story to be strung out for so long. Normally I don't feel the length of a King book as I'm immersed in the character, whose internal journey is half the story, but as this element wasn't present certain sections really started to drag and made me pray for an ending.

Oh well, every road has a few bumps along the way and this wasn't awful by any stretch of the imagination, just not a enjoyable as I'd hoped.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Talisman.

12/15/2011
75.0% "Nearly done...not enjoying half as much as the other King books I've read, let's see if the ending improves the experience."