peter's Reviews > Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity

Getting Things Done by David Allen

M_50x66
Apr 26, 12

I went through parts of this book/lecture series when I was an undergrad, but am revisiting the audiobook now. It provides some very helpful ways to look at life and how you do the things you do.

There are some key points in this book that can really change how you conduct your life. For me, a few of the big things are:

(1) if you keep everything you worry about doing in your mind, you'll have more anxiety. Instead you should write everything down that you have to do in some sort of trusted system so that your mind is free to enjoy whatever it is you're doing at the moment instead of worrying about some random thing you have to do later.

(2) If it takes 2 minutes or less, just do it now. For me, this means quit putting off sending emails that only take a minute anyway.

(3) Break big projects down into smaller actions that can be done. Instead of writing the name of some project on your to do list, think of next specific actions that you must do to move forward with that project.

(4) Once you get the day-to-day things done—once you clear your mind—then your life is more freed up to be creative and to do the things you want.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Things Done.

09/03/2013 marked as: read