Laura Morrigan's Reviews > The Veil of Gold

The Veil of Gold by Kim Wilkins

6197300
Review from my blog: http://rosesandvellum.blogspot.com/

In Rosa and the Veil of Gold, Kim Wilkins seamlessly interweaves Russian myths and fairytales with the events of our world. In her story, Russian myths intersect with Russian history, and three modern day people with their own secrets are drawn into the dark worlds of legend. It took me a little while to get into this novel, but when I did, I was hooked, and read it over the last couple of days. I loved the way it was narrated, slowly revealing all the links within the tale, told mostly through the point of view of the three main characters, but also through an omniscient narrator, who was in himself part of the story. I don't want to give away too much, you should discover it yourself!

I have read nearly all of Kim Wilkin's adult books so far, her earlier novels are dark works of magic and horror, but the one that really drew me in was The Autumn Castle, which mixed folklore of faeries and faery realms with an intriguing setting in modern day Berlin. You can read my review for it here. This book is the kind of thing I want to write, and I hope that I can one day write something as intriguing!

Rosa and the Veil of Gold and The Autumn Castle are part of a suite of stories based on myths, there is another one, Giants of the Frost, that I have not yet got my hands on. After finishing this one, I am anxious to read it as well!

Note: I would recommend this story as young adult to adult, as there are some sexual references/ sex. It also might be scary for some kids, but if you were brought up on fairytales and legends like I was, then I doubt it will be that scary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Veil of Gold.