L_manning's Reviews > The Mirror of N'De

The Mirror of N'De by L.K. Malone

Dec 07, 11

Hadley lives in a world that is beautiful yet cruel. Her people are treated as underlings and slaves, forced to live very hard lives. The one thing that keeps her people going is a bedtime story passed through the generations about a beautiful city they once inhabited. Things are changing though. First, Hadley begins having dreams about a creature calling to her. Next, the mysterious emperor reappears and frees her people. Then Hadley and her friend Nomish are chosen to learn to serve the emperor. Hadley discovers there is more to the emperor than meets the eye, and there are secrets within his tower that could change everything.

This is going to be a book that lovers of fantasy will adore. It is so original. It takes some familiar fantasy ideas and combines it with some totally new things in such an original way. This book is able to draw you into the world and immerse you very quickly. Hadley is a great character. While she's certainly good and talented, she also has her flaws. She's seen the way her people have been treated and wants to be able to yield power over those who treated her so poorly. This desire for revenge is not a great one to have, but it's a realistic desire for Hadley. She has suffered a great deal in her life, so this was a natural reaction. This made it very easy to empathize and understand and even like Hadley more.

There are also things that will surprise and shock the reader. Things are never what they seem, and there were a few plot points that I really didn't see coming. I think it's great when a book can surprise you . Overall I found this to be a very enjoyable book. For me, a good fantasy can sweep you away into a totally new world, and that's exactly what this book did. It was an excellent read, and I recommend to everyone who loves magical worlds and exciting adventures.

Book provided for review.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mirror of N'De.