Patty's Reviews > Equal Rites

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett

1020899
Dec 18, 11

bookshelves: 2011, audiobook, fiction, fantasy, humor, discworld-series, feminism, wizards, witches
Read on December 07, 2011

I can't believe it has been so long since I have listened to a Discworld book, but apparently it has been more than three years since I heard a Terry Pratchett book. I will have to remedy this problem soon and listen to more of these stories. I don't want to wait another three years.

Part of me thought this novel might feel dated. This fantasy is almost 25 years old and the theme of equality is not very prevalent in fiction right now. Feminism is not dead, but much of the time I feel that it is sleeping. Many folk even believe that women have achieved equal rights. Not only is feminism not a common theme, but humor is not usually considered a strong aspect of feminism. Thank goodness, Pratchett makes his point well as we laugh ourselves silly.

I really enjoy Pratchett's writing, because his stories have many levels. Like a good Warner Bros. cartoon, you can read a Discworld novel for the surface story or the word play or all the social commentary.

I recommend the Discworld series to Douglas Adams fans, English majors (the word play) and anyone who enjoys funny stories. This book would appeal to both young adults and adults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Equal Rites.