Olivia's Reviews > Franny and Zooey

Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger

F 50x66
Dec 07, 2011

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Franny and Zooey.

Quotes Olivia Liked

J.D. Salinger
“I'm sick of just liking people. I wish to God I could meet somebody I could respect.”

J.D. Salinger
“It's everybody, I mean. Everything everybody does is so — I don't know — not wrong, or even mean, or even stupid necessarily. But just so tiny and meaningless and — sad-making. And the worst part is, if you go bohemian or something crazy like that, you're conforming just as much only in a different way.”
tags: life

J.D. Salinger
“I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.”

J.D. Salinger
“I'm not afraid to compete. It's just the opposite. Don't you see that? I'm afraid I will compete — that's what scares me. That's why I quit the Theatre Department. Just because I'm so horribly conditioned to accept everybody else's values, and just because I like applause and people to rave about me, doesn't make it right. I'm ashamed of it. I'm sick of it. I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody. I'm sick of myself and everybody else that wants to make some kind of a splash.”

J.D. Salinger
“I don't know what good it is to know so much and be smart as whips and all if it doesn't make you happy.”