Rachel's Reviews > A Thief of Nightshade

A Thief of Nightshade by J.S. Chancellor

Mar 30, 2012

Read in March, 2012

A Thief of Nightshade is a wonderful, spell-binding and sometimes all too real novel. Chancellor weaves both light and dark and the fanciful and serious together very well. It's a story both about love and fighting. While I did miss the great battle action that I know J.S. is fantastic at, especially as some of it is hinted at, but the main battle is an internal thing and you can never go wrong with that as all people have their own deep, dark struggles. The first half of the book switches from the heroine Aubrey's past in the 'real' world to the current happenings of Avalar about every chapter. That's something I don't usually care much for but it was quite necessary in this case. I did however relish the moment when we stayed on the journey to rescue her beloved Jullian from the Fae Queen. That's one of the parts I like best about Nightshade, the traditional fantasy rescue and save the world scenario is flipped on it's head. It's the damsel that saves her prince and the whole world of Avalar while she's at it too. And Aubrey, I'm sure, is a character that many (especially women, I think) will relate to, whether they've had the worst of her experiences or not. All in all, a very moving, entertaining and solid work that lives up to the growing J.S. Chancellor tradition.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thief of Nightshade.