Lara's Reviews > Skippy Dies

Skippy Dies by Paul Murray

Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: ireland, audiobooks, read-in-2012, math-physics, war, death
Read from January 06 to 16, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I listened to the audio version of this and it was fantastic (other than the totally over-the-top Italian accent of the guy who voiced Mario and Guido). And I thought the story was great, although I can see why some folks had a hard time with it (there's a lot of crudeness and general bad behavior, from kids and adults alike), and I will admit to having had some doubts myself at times (view spoiler). About three-fourths of the way through I was thinking, "Okay, where on earth is this going?" because at that point I felt alienated from pretty much every single one of the characters (except for Jeff, because he was my fave). But that last quarter really pulled things together for me, and I loved the ending. Definitely worth a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skippy Dies.

Quotes Lara Liked

“History, in the end, is only another kind of story, and stories are different from the truth. The truth is messy and chaotic and all over the place. Often it just doesn’t make sense. Stories make things make sense, but the way they do that is to leave out anything that doesn’t fit. And often that is quite a lot.”
Paul Murray, Skippy Dies