Lauren's Reviews > Me Talk Pretty One Day

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Dec 10, 11

bookshelves: humor
Read from December 05 to 09, 2011

I read most of this book about ten years ago when David Sedaris came to speak at my college (admission was a dollar!). I remember nearly rolling off my bed with laughter at several of the essays, notably "12 Moments in the Life of the Artist." Alas, when I reached that essay this time around, there was no rolling around to be had, but instead just a few chuckles and wry smiles. Maybe it's because I always see those super graphic meth PSAs every night when I'm watching Jeopardy, but Sedaris's drug-fueled semi-career as a performance artist just didn't do it for the ol' funny bone anymore. Actually, a number of the essays in the first part of the book struck me as thin and not terribly funny -- the wind-up seemed too long, and the payoff too short, and several ended too abruptly for me.

I did enjoy the Paris-set essays a lot more this time around, particularly any that were about his struggles with learning or using the language.

Anyway, this was a solid 3-star read for me. My favorite book of his remains Naked, although since I read that one about 6 or 7 years ago, I wonder if my response to it would change, as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me Talk Pretty One Day.