Emily's Reviews > Embrace

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington

Aug 02, 12

bookshelves: 2012, arc, for-review, angels, love-triangle, review, urban-fantasy, ya-romance, young-adult, blog-tour
Read from February 09 to 14, 2012

*An ARC was provided by Sourcebooks Fire in exchange for an honest review*

I will always compare angel books to Hush, Hush. That's just a fact. And while this book isn't as kick-ass as Hush, Hush, it's still special in it's own way.

I really liked the different angel spin Shirvington put on this story. I think it was a good idea, a good story line, and amazing writing. There were just a few things that weren't very good: Shirvington mentioned towards the end of the book that Violet was terrified of her old teacher (you'll understand once you read the book) but I didn't really get that vibe throughout the book. And the embrace, which should have been amazing, breathtaking, and should have sucked me right in, didn't. It should have been a climax to the story and it wasn't. And at the moments that should have been groundbreaking and momentous, she made the moments boring. Those moments are when the reader should be totally sucked in and can't hear her brothers screaming bloody murder into her ear, but it wasn't. And, although this book had a love triangle, it was only a semi one, so I think it really helped the story.

In the love triangle there are three people: Violet, Lincoln, and Phoenix. But the thing is, there really isn't a love triangle. Violet chooses Phoenix, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. (Don't worry, that's not a spoiler. It is a small detail in the whole story.) Lincoln just seemed so nice and all, perfect boyfriend material. But on the other hand, Phoenix was smokin' hot and totally swoon worthy. Towards the end of the book, I liked Phoenix better. And, although he did something bad (I won't tell) in the end of the book, I still like him. Usually when a boy messes up and does something like framing the girl for a crime he committed, I despise that boy. But with Phoenix, I like him just as much. I think part of the reason why is that Shirvington didn't make what he did groundbreaking and world-ending to it didn't really sink in as bad.
Lincoln is the perfect perfect boy. He's nice, cute, and totally swoon-worthy. But he wasn't as kick-ass as Phoenix. Don't get me wrong though, I love both of them.
And, last but not least, there's Violet. I think she was a very strong female character and I'm so glad that there wasn't a huge love triangle because I would have hated that competing against the fact that she was kick-ass.

All in all, I really enjoyed it and can't wait for the next book, Enticed, to come out September 2012.

Thanks so much to Jessica Shirvington for reading my messages BEGGING for an ARC and for sending it to the right people so they could mail me one. You're awesome!! :P

~Emily @ Emily's Crammed Bookshelf

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Embrace.

02/11/2012 page 150
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lola Trust me Em, they keep getting better and better... In Australia we are onto the 4th book come october and they are bloody amazing. Youll understand all those unanswered questions once you read the others... As for the teacher thing... and the embrace thing... All in good time...

Emily Wow you're so lucky! The second is coming out in the US in September and I can't wait. And I'm glad to hear it gets better!! :)

Lola Like I understand where youre coming from, and you make valid points, I found Hush Hush a little bland for me, and loved the Violet Eden Chapters... And you are opposite. They are an amazing series, but you have to keep reading them, I promise they really get going after the second book after you start to search for answers... I didnt think the climax was meant to be the embrace as such, it was the fight at the end. She was kind of forced into embracing just because she had to.. To save her partner, Linc. She never wanted to do it, and she has this attitude towards the whole Grigori thing that is slightly negative. So its no wonder when we're reading about the experience that she has this "ok, just hurry up, Embrace and get me the f* out of here"... At least thats how I feel about it.

Emily Yeah I agree with you about that. And I do want this series to get moving so I can't wait to read the second book :)

Lola Why dont you just by them online and youll have 1 2 and 3 sent straight from Australia and then 4 by October??

Emily *awkward silence* I really didn't think of that. Gosh I'm so dumb! Haha. Idk if I'll do that. I might just wait to get an ARC I don't know. But thanks for the suggestion!! :p

Lola Oh and the Linc helped her get past the whole teacher thing, so come the time we read about it... its only when its brought up that she doesnt feel good, where as 95% of the time she just shoves it to the back of her mind and uses her mantra "I dont quit, I dont back down" to get her past it all... Shes good like that.

Emily Haha ok I gotcha ;p

message 9: by Lola (last edited Apr 20, 2012 08:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola You wont get the US editions of the books, but the AUS versions which I personally love more. But honestly, save yourself the wait, I was getting some of you US kids onto the series by telling you to get the AUS editions... I do it sometimes when you US kids get stuff WAY before AUS does. So lame - good books should be released world wide, same time.

Emily Same I think it's so unfair when a really good book is published in the US but, say, the UK has to wait for forever for it to come out. It's kind of cruel if you think about it

message 11: by Lola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola I know...
So what are you reading that I am not able to get my hands on? haha.
What do you think of Cassandra Clare or Lauren Kate?

Emily I'm reading The Breakaway by Michelle Davidson Argyle. It's actually really good.

I haven't read any Cassandra Clare books but I really want to. I've read the whole Fallen series (Fallen; Torment; Passion) and don't really like it. What about you?

message 13: by Brooke (new) - added it

Brooke Emily wrote: "I'm reading The Breakaway by Michelle Davidson Argyle. It's actually really good.

OMGosh, you haven't read any Clare???? YOU MUST!!!

Emily Haha ok I will. Is she really that good?

message 15: by Brooke (new) - added it

Brooke I think so. I love her Infernal Devices series, better than The Mortal Instruments, but both are good. And she's slated to write another series now!

Emily Really!? I heard of the two you mentioned but not a third one. What's it about?

message 17: by Brooke (new) - added it

Brooke It's a spin off of The Mortal Instruments: Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1) by Cassandra Clare

Emily Ooooooo that looks really good! I guess I'll have to hurry up and read it hugh! :p

message 19: by Brooke (new) - added it

Brooke LOL YUP!
Infernal Devices is the pre-quel to Mortal Instruments. I read ID first and I was happy that I did as it helped me understand MI better.

Emily Ok, so Infernal Devices first, The Immortal Instruments second, and then her new series third, right? :)

message 21: by Brooke (new) - added it

Brooke That's how I would do it. I'm still reading the Mortal Instruments series. The next book for that comes out in May.

Emily Yeah I know! On May 8. It's my birthday! ;p

message 23: by Brooke (new) - added it

Brooke :)

message 24: by Lola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola I missed so much of this conversation...
Yeah Em, you really need to read them... They are amazing.. and she is amazing... and if you have a question you write to her on her blog and she hand writes answers from characters perspectives on how they felt. Say you read it from X's POV bur want to know Y's. she will personally write that out for you... Shes very bright... I like both series... both are addictive. Read them.

Fallen series has one more book to go... You have to stop comparing every angel book to HUSH HUSH... there is so much out there that you are a missing out on the experience because you are comparing it... let it go and experience the book... Hush Hush isnt the best there is out there in angel books... Violet Eden Chapters us one of them. :)

message 25: by Lola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola You are meant to read the INFERNAL DEVICE BOOK 1 THEN READ MORTAL INSTRUMENTS BOOK 1, 2, 3, 4, then INFERNAL DEVICE BOOK 2 then MORTAL INSTRUMENTS BOOK 5 and thats where we are up to so far.. THEN THE NEXT TO READ IS INFERNAL DEVICE BOOK 3 - the final one for the series.. The idea is that reading both series staggered is meant to reveal part of the part (ID is set in 1800's) (MI mornern day) (THE DARK ARTIFICES is the series after MI) But reading the past then the present then the past again,.. clues are dropped in and it reveals things slowly...

Emily That is so confusing

message 27: by Lola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola Hahah... I know... But the whole series is meant to overlap and slowly reveal stuff to you...
thats why she has two series out at the same time both coming out inbetween the other..

Emily Haha ok I'll give it a try. Thanks!! :)

message 29: by Brooke (new) - added it

Brooke Lola wrote: "You are meant to read the INFERNAL DEVICE BOOK 1 THEN READ MORTAL INSTRUMENTS BOOK 1, 2, 3, 4, then INFERNAL DEVICE BOOK 2 then MORTAL INSTRUMENTS BOOK 5 and thats where we are up to so far.. THEN ..."

Oh boy, I already read ID #1 and 2, so I already messed it up! LOLOLOL! Oh well.

message 30: by Lola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola Spoilers Em. Dont read unless you want to know...

Well thats the way she designed the books, so I presume that is the correct way of reading them, in according to how she wrote them and how they are released. Her next book out in may will be the 5th MI book, then its book 3 the final book for ID and apparently characters in ID appear in MI, and might contribute to what happens in the final MI book... in book 3 of MI Tessa actually appears at the celebration in Ardrois... So that gives you a little clue that she is still going to be around after ID... That she is immortal... Which begs the question... Is she a warlock or something else? You know what I mean?? Thats the kind of hints Cassie Clare drops which makes it so cleaver and thrilling to read!

In the next series, The Dark Artifices, Jace actually is hailed the best shadowhunter ever. So clearly something happens to make him that famous... The book takes place after MI and follows Emma Carstairs... Carstairs is the surname of Jem in ID... So you know something has happened that he has found happiness... The family name has been kept through the generations. Cleaver huh??