Miss Page Turner's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

May 15, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-ya-contemporary-challenge
Read from April 11 to 12, 2012

THE REVIEW

My review of THE FAULT IN OUR STARS should consist of tears and tears only. My eyes still hurt from crying so much. I have read books with sad endings before. My first John Green book was the one that made my heart ache on every page.

How can I tell you that I enjoyed THE FAULT IN OUR STARS when its protagonists are dying kids? Cancer is one of the most terrible illnesses and sadly many people are afflicted by cancer or know someone who has suffered from its widespread causes at some point. Cancer is present in every chapter, on every page of THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. But one should see that there is so much more to it than that. The feelings, moments and people that are worth living for.
I liked every single character in this story so very much, no cancer perk I assure. I was desperate for them to live.

Hazel is such a fragile young girl with a valiant story and tragic fate. Then she is one of the bravest YA heroines I ever met. It’s no wonder Augustus Waters is falling for her, hard. He is the boy who wins Hazel’s heart although her body is already claimed by lung cancer. It’s Augustus’ true self, his glowing, charismatic being that makes him so worth of her and the reader’s love.

Now Augustus isn’t the only man in Hazel’s life. An author named Peter van Houten is not unimportant to her. Hazel is obsessed with his book An Imperial Affliction. I found the idea very comforting that a book has the power to help Hazel through the hardest time of her life. I don’t want to give away too much, but I need to say that the character of author van Houten himself in contrast was one I absolutely disliked.

John Green did such a good job writing THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, because he made a book that is realistic and doesn’t try to sugarcoat the daily routine and possibilities of cancer patients or to disguise the horrible true face of cancer itself.
Even though Green attends to the serious matter of living your life with cancer under the permanent prospect of dying, the overall tenor of THE FAULT IN OUR STARS is enlivened by the characters’ joking about their illness.

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS left an impression on me. This book has its perfections, edges and flaws. It’s a jumble of entirely different emotions to me. It’s the story of Hazel and Augustus interrupted by life and death all the same.

I can’t wait to devour every single John Green book available! Now I know why people cannot but love his books. His writing is free, there are no boundaries it seems.

WE LOVE THIS BOOK BECAUSE...

1) of drinking stars
2) of the best wish investment
3) it’s one of the most emotional and saddest stories ever told
4) of a miracle girl
5) of the people who care for us every passing second of our lives

THE VERDICT

5/5 ***** THE FAULT IN OUR STARS- Hilarious, sensitive, raw and heart-achingly sad. Uniquely John Green!

It’s one of the books you never want to pick up again, and yet read it every day for the rest of your life. I have cried a lot over many books in the past. They are all no comparison to the amount of tears I spent on THE FAULT IN OUR STARS. I expected it, yet it came so unexpected…the end. And if you don’t drown in your tears, I promise you’ll get drunk by John Green’s words. His words are like the best stars one can drink!

2 likes · flag

Quotes Miss Page Turner Liked

John Green
“I'm in love with you," he said quietly.

"Augustus," I said.

"I am," he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.”

John Green
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”

John Green
“You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.”

John Green
“There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.”

04/11/2012 page 20
04/12/2012 page 313
100.0% "I cried so much that my eyes hurt terribly"

Nickey glad you liked it too :)