Judah's Reviews > The Book of Joby

The Book of Joby by Mark J. Ferrari

Jul 04, 08

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in July, 2008

I have to admit that in my own knee-jerk reaction to books that may be a form of proselytizing, I passed this book by several times while wandering the shelves of our local book store...despite picking it up and looking at it time and again.

Eventually, I found myself in Half Price Books in San Antonio (the best used book store ever) while visiting my folks, and they had a copy there for $6.00..and I picked it up.

I'm glad I did. I'm not going to say it's some major work of literary fiction, I'm not going to say it was a life-changing experience, because it wasn't. What it was was a fairly enjoyable book that examines a person's life, and how outside influences may affect said life.

There's no preaching, no "you should go to church" aspect, just an example of utilizing OUR OWN mythos (speaking as your average christian/judaist american...though I probably count as none of the above) as opposed to usurping someone else's culture...be it whatever form it takes...and basing a story off of it.

Enjoyable, definitely. Deep? Probably not...but you won't feel like you've wasted many hours being preached to.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Joby.