Jane Lee's Reviews > This Side of Paradise

This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Dec 26, 11

bookshelves: classics, historical-romance
Read from December 07 to 24, 2011

F. Scott Fitzgerald is a known literary artist of his time with his works receiving both stunning acclaim and scathing criticisms from a plethora of critics in countless eras and places. This Side of Paradise holds the limelight to the emotional, physical and spiritual growth of Amory Blaine. I took a long time finishing this book because I was too caught up with numerous television shows and occasions.

PROS
1. Fitzgerald's method of writing was bursting with so much zest and vivacity, it was far too easy to get carried away with Amory's antics and beguiling poetry and inanities for women he falls in love with.
2. This is a book I would call a profound treasure chest overflowing with literary gems. Sentences after sentences, poetry after poetry, you simply can't help but be enamored with the breathtaking rapture that swathes you while you read this book. It was definitely educational.

CONS
1. I expected a love story and not disillusioning tales of romance with different women. While it was kind of enjoyable in the first few pages, it simply began to get humdrum in the middle portions of the book.
2. It is a heavy book superfluous with theories and opinions and historical narratives. This isn't a novel fit for light reading.
3. One out of every three pages are rather good if you want to fall asleep.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Side of Paradise.

Quotes Jane Lee Liked

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“I don't want to repeat my innocence. I want the pleasure of losing it again.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“I'm not sentimental--I'm as romantic as you are. The idea, you know,
is that the sentimental person thinks things will last--the romantic
person has a desperate confidence that they won't.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“I may turn out an intellectual, but I'll never write anything but mediocre poetry.”

12/09/2011 page 42
15.0% "I'm stumped with The Big Bang and Criminal Minds and How I Met Your Mother and articles to write. I seriously don't have time for reading T_T"