Karl's Reviews > VALIS

VALIS by Philip K. Dick

Jun 27, 2007

Read in February, 2008

I enjoyed it a lot. It is PKD's views on the nature of god, of course with a sci-fi bent. I loved the David Bowie stand in (Eric Lampton) and the 'Man Who Fell To Earth' references (the film VALIS) with the idea that PKD was receiving psychic messages from the film.
I found the book more interesting because of the unreliable narrator. Sometimes the book was written in the third person, sometimes the first. So, from the first chapter you realize that the narrator is PKD and he's out of his tiny little mind (in fact, he tells you so.) This was interesting since it was written a good ten years before 'Fight Club'.
Also, when describing the nature of God and reality, I couldn't help but realize that this book was a major influence on Grant Morrison (especially 'The Invisibles'.) There are parts GM references full on (reality is a hologram and such.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read VALIS.

Chris Meger I'm glad you pointed out the alternating narrative style. It's almost like you're watching him lose his mind further even as he's trying to make sense of it all.