sylvie's Reviews > Room

2034082
Dec 15, 11

Read from December 07 to 10, 2011 — I own a copy

Synopsis:

To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Told entirely in the language of the energetic, pragmatic five-year-old Jack, ROOM is a celebration of resilience and the limitless bond between parent and child, a brilliantly executed novel about what it means to journey from one world to another.

My view:

Today I’m five. I was four last night going to sleep in Wardrobe, but when I wake up in Bed in the dark I’m changed to five, abracadabra. Before that I was three, then two, then one, then zero. “Was I minus numbers?” – opening paragraph.

This novel stays with me, I finished reading it last night...I know this has happened in real life and it really shook me hard. It is a novel to read, a must read.
It is perhaps a look into this horrible situation, which in real life has happened.Due to privacy issues, court sealed documentation we do not truly know what becomes of a young woman, abducted and kept prisoner in some deranged persons idea of life...it is chilling. The author walks us through using this fictional character in ways we start to understand the psychological ramifications this takes on a human being, once released.......

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.