Paulinewashington's Reviews > Running with Scissors

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

U 50x66
Dec 07, 11

This was a book that Mindy & I chose to read together because after I started the book, I was sure she wouldn't fall asleep. We loved it, loved it, and loved it. Having said that, this is a memoir and it seems to me that memoirs are generally not written about those of us with the normal, only slightly disturbing childhoods. In fact, parts of this book made me cry. But the thing about Augusten’s writing is that he seems to be able to laugh about anything. Again though… It is explicit. Rated R. The book Burrow's wrote after this book was titled "dry" as it deals w/ his alcoholism. Ok, you are warned.
Some excellent quotes: "We were young. We were bored. And the old electroshock therapy machine was just under the stairs in a box next to the Hoover."
"My mother began to go crazy. Not in a 'Let's paint the kitchen red!' sort of way. But crazy in a 'gas oven, toothpaste sandwich, I am God' sort of way.
[image error]

Min & I still haven’t had time to watch the movie that was made after the book but I hope to soon (I do love Annette Bening & Alec Baldwin).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running with Scissors.