Patty's Reviews > One Hundred and One Nights

One Hundred and One Nights by Benjamin Buchholz

Dec 07, 11

This book haunts me.
It really haunted my dreams. I don't suggest reading it before sleeping if you take your characters and their actions with you as you snooze. That being said I need to read it again as this is one of those books that will improve upon a second or perhaps third reading. War, no matter its root cause, does so much damage to individuals and that damage is the soul of this book. Good people can be driven to horrific acts by the repeated acts upon them. Unyielding cultural and religious dogma add fuel to a fire. And it is not one sided.

I don't want to explore the book too much because it was so not what I was expecting and I don't want to take that away from the next reader. It is a well written novel with characters that for the most part are clearly defined. The story moves along in the somewhat present day with flashbacks to the past. The plot is not fully understood until about halfway through the book which was quite a feat! And even then there were parts left hanging until the very end. This is why I feel it will improve upon another read - that foreknowledge of the ending will cause certain actions to make sense.

I do recommend this book for a peak into the world of Iraq after the second Gulf War. It was not an easy read as I wrote above but it was an excellent one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Hundred and One Nights.