Amy Lichtenhan's Reviews > Between Seasons

Between Seasons by Aida Brassington

Dec 07, 11

Read in December, 2011

I was hooked on Between Seasons from the very first page. How could I not be, when Ms. Brassington dives right into the descriptive fall and death of Patrick, a 19-year-old young man who is just on the verge of being shipped off to Vietnam. You can't help but fall in love with Patrick as he watches his parents reaction to his death, his confusion at being a ghost, and the heartbreaking fact that he's stuck in the same house he died in when his parents decide they can no longer live there after their loss and move away, leaving the house empty with only the few personal items Patrick had hidden away before they'd gone.

For forty years Patrick wanders the house alone, watching the seasons change from the windows, though he has no idea how much time has passed until the house has finally been sold...to Sara, who was one of the most unique, endearing characters I've read of late. In the times I had to put the book down, I couldn't wait to get back to watch how their relationship grew. Sara had a feeling that she not alone, and the more she accepted that fact and opened herself up to it, the more she could really experience him.

Ms. Brassington does an amazing job of bringing these two together in a very surprising way. I was impressed by the fact that the book takes place entirely in one setting-the house where Patrick died-yet it never became boring. The only disappointment I had was I would have liked to have seen a little more of a progression in the relationship between Patrick and Sara before it was wrapped up, but that was only because I enjoyed the two so much. Here's to hoping for a sequel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Seasons.