Rob's Reviews > Beloved

Aug 23, 2007

it was ok
bookshelves: high-school, time-all-time-100
Read in August, 1996

When I said that I didn't particularly care for Beloved, a friend of A.'s said it was because I was a white guy and that it was impossible for me to understand where Toni Morrison was coming from. "No," I replied quite matter-of-factly, "I just didn't care for this particular work." Phrases like "heavy-handed" and "over-the-top" came to mind. I guess it didn't help that the book was basically thrust upon me rather than me coming across it through my own explorations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beloved.

message 1: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:46PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rob @Sherri: I think my friend was putting the blame squarely on me... That by virtue of my gender and race, I was incapable of fully appreciating the story. I wouldn't necessarily fault Morrison for constructing the narrative the way that she did -- she's well-celebrated and I have enjoyed excerpts from other works by her; it's just this particular novel that I don't much care for.

message 2: by sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

sarah wow. i find this kind of crazy because the argument posed by A's friend seems to de facto imply that literature can't cross boundaries of race, gender, class etc. which i think is bullshit.

i loved Beloved. the characterization, the premise, the writing style. i consider it a favorite book.