Toni Osborne's Reviews > What Came Before He Shot Her

1970656
Jan 11, 12

Read from December 12 to 19, 2011

Book 14, in the Inspector Lynley series

Ms. George has given her beloved protagonists a long and deserved rest and moved forward to explore in depth and meticulous detail the darkness of violence, the unfortunate choice of very troubled individuals. This novel delves into events leading to the brutal death of Helen Lynley who met a tragic end in the last pages of “With No one as Witness “. The method used is different from her other novels, this one ties up loose ends, a story stemming from another story.

I must admit I had a hard time getting into this mystery, it never gelled from the get-go however it may have been an off day for me. The story follows the path of three mixed-raced children from the Campbell family and how each one of them deals with the feeling of rejection after learning their grandmother abandoned them on their aunt’s doorstep and left for Jamaica. As a reader we see how each character addresses the constant struggle to survive and the individual choices they made as they spiral down the road of no return.

This is a drawn out story with page after page of uneventful details, it reminded me of a 900 page essay I had for a school project. The black argot of London dialogue was hard to follow and required more concentration than I was willing to give, I found myself skipping paragraphs and feeling I had not missed a thing. I enjoy Ms. George’s insight and her ability to draw verbal pictures of people caught on the edge creating an entertaining psychological drama but this time I was rather disappointed and I also miss the atmosphere the characters Lynley and Havers normally bring to the table. I like this series but from time to time it seems the ball is dropped and I am left with an OK… what is next feeling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Came Before He Shot Her.

12/13/2011 page 60
11.0% "can`t get into this one"
12/16/2011 page 300
54.0% "so slow and where is Lynley"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

David Thought this was the worst one of the series to date because I normally enjoy her books.

message 2: by Toni (new) - rated it 1 star

Toni Osborne so far I totally agree with you.....I am having a hard time getting into this one although in general the stories are pretty good....always exception I guess....

message 3: by Pat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pat I have to agree ... although I thought it was a well-crafted novel, it struck me as more of a psychological drama than a mystery.

message 4: by Toni (new) - rated it 1 star

Toni Osborne You are quite right in saying the novel is a psychological drama.

I think I would have had a different view if it would have been a stand-alone instead of being part of the series.