Frances's Reviews > Tears in the Darkness: The Story of the Bataan Death March and Its Aftermath

Tears in the Darkness by Michael  Norman

F_50x66
Jan 13, 12

bookshelves: 1990-1999, nf-war, non-fiction, obtained-audible
Read from December 07, 2011 to January 13, 2012

The book reports on the portion of WWII that occurred in the Philippines. It begins just before the bombing of Pearl Harbor and continues through the war crimes trials that followed Japan's surrender.

Although I have heard of the Bataan Death March, I knew almost nothing of it. As someone else recounted in their review, my history classes focused primarily on the European portion of the war. The events in the Pacific mostly skipped from Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima.

This story was almost unbearable and unbelievable. I listened to this book, which allowed/forced a slower pace than I would have had reading. It broke the narrative up in to smaller pieces, and I found that I kept recounting portions to people over the last month. Although it is such a grim topic, it was hard to stop talking about it. It it tempting to begin listing them here.

The structural device the authors used, focusing on one soldier, Ben Steele, all the way through was amazing. However, the breadth of other individual's stories they told, especially from the Japanese perspective, were compelling as well.

All in all, excellent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tears in the Darkness.