Maria M. Elmvang's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Jul 31, 13

bookshelves: 2011, 5-stars, owned-ebook, dystopian, 2013
Read from July 15 to 31, 2013, read count: 2

"Divergent" is one of those books that suddenly popped up everywhere. I actually hadn't even considered reading it, until I read yesterday that it had been voted "Book of the Year" by Goodreads! Now I knew I had to see what the fuss was all about.

The book did NOT disappoint! I was hooked from the very first moment, and even the open ending didn't bother me too much... I must be getting to a point where I've started to expect them! I couldn't put the book down, and would have finished it much sooner if I didn't have that pesky work intervene ;)

The action is fast-paced and convincing - it takes a very talented writer to make me afraid of heights through her writing... and I don't even have vertigo! I was stunned when I discovered she's only 23 years old! If she continues in this vein, she has great things ahead of her.

It actually most of all reminded me of "Uglies" by Scott Westerfeld, which isn't a bad thing at all. Now I just hope that Veronica Roth can keep up the pace in the sequel.

Reread in 2013 - still love it :)
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Maria M. Liked

Veronica Roth
“I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though.”
Veronica Roth, Divergent

12/08/2011 page 65
13.0% "Not impressed by Eric. Brave =/= cruel."
12/08/2011 page 65
13.0% "I just read that the author is a mere 23 years old. Whaaaaat?!"
07/25/2013 marked as: currently-reading
07/31/2013 marked as: read

Erika Glad you liked it too! I wouldn't have considered reading it either. Thank goodness for word of mouth on the internet! I really have to read Uglies now that you mentioned it here.

Maria M. Elmvang You definitely should! I think you'd like it.

Trine It sounds as if I should borrow it.