Danielle's Reviews > The Cats in the Doll Shop

The Cats in the Doll Shop by Yona Zeldis McDonough

Dec 28, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, childrens, middlegrade, for-review
Read in December, 2011

In a family of three girls the news of an addition to the family comes with mixed feelings. When Anna discovers her new cousin Tania is coming from Russia to spend the year with their family she’s thrilled, though their shared age seems to be the only similarity as of yet. Anna’s sisters find Tania’s quietness and the food she hides odd and instantly dislike her, but Anna quickly accepts her by offering her a new doll she created specifically for Tania. With the addition of Tania the last thing the family needs is a pet, but it may be just the thing to bring Tania out of her shell and potentially solve another problem altogether.

Charming. Absolutely charming and beautiful storytelling are found within the pages of The Cats in the Doll Shop by Yona Zeldis McDonough. Generally speaking I’m not incredibly fond of historically based novels & books for one reason or another, but this story was written so well that I couldn’t help but be taken in by the lovely Anna. Her parents are recent immigrants to the US and have found a way to provide for themselves by creating and selling a line of dolls to companies like FAO Schwartz. For a ten or eleven year old girl I can think of no better place to be than in a family that has a never ending supply of dolls to create and play with, making it the perfect setting for the intended audience.

Obviously Anna’s family is frugal though and the story isn’t simply about the dolls and the doll shop, but about their cousin Tania and the cats that accompany her arrival. Anna was so welcoming to her cousin and it was wonderful to read about not only her desire to make her feel at home but her thoughts about her two sister’s feelings about Tania. It’s the perfect message for a young reader, one of welcoming and comforting those who may be in need of a friend. In addition to Tania the compassion Anna shows toward a family of cats is heartwarming and in the end turns out to help not only the cats but Tania as well.

It would be a shame to fail to note the historical and religious aspects of the story in my review because both were handled incredibly well. In both cases they were so well written that they became more a part of the fabric of the story than an over-arching theme making it accessible for all varieties of readers. Anna and her family are of Jewish descent and there is even a short story about the history of Chanukah, but I never felt as though it was a boring history lesson or preachy in any way. Instead the story and the background shared throughout work to enhance Anna’s character and her family making it all the more enjoyable.

The Cats in the Doll Shop by Yona Zeldis McDonough is delightful historically based middle grade fiction novel. Not only would educators benefit from sharing it with their students, but young readers will thoroughly fall in love with Anna and her charm. Though it’s the second in the series it easily stands alone, but those who haven’t read the first will be clamoring to get their hands on Anna’s first story as well. The Cats in the Doll Shop is a story about kindness, acceptance, giving and friendship all told through the eyes of one delightful young girl who welcomes all with open arms.

Originally reviewed and copyrighted at my site, There's A Book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cats in the Doll Shop.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yona (new)

Yona McDonough What a thoughtful, lovely review! This author thanks you from the bottom of her heart!

Danielle Yona wrote: "What a thoughtful, lovely review! This author thanks you from the bottom of her heart!"

Thank you so very much Yona! You've made my day. And thank you for your wonderful book!

message 3: by Yona (new)

Yona McDonough As you might guess, writing is a very solitary occupation. Most days it's just me and the pooches (I have three, and they are good if occasionally yappy company). So the chance to connect with readers and hear their responses is very precious. I really appreciate that you took the time to post such a thoughtful and considered comment. I had some book marks made from the cover; if you would like one, just give me your address and I will be happy to send it along.

Danielle Yona wrote: "As you might guess, writing is a very solitary occupation. Most days it's just me and the pooches (I have three, and they are good if occasionally yappy company). So the chance to connect with re..."

I'd love a bookmark! Thank you. I'll send you a message with my address. Thank you again! xo

message 5: by Yona (new)

Yona McDonough Please do!