Jordan Allen's Reviews > Man Seeks God: My Flirtations with the Divine

Man Seeks God by Eric Weiner

Jul 30, 13

I liked this book! Mostly because I'm in sort of the same situation as Weiner. To tell you the truth, I was curious about what he would say about Kabbalah, so I finished reading his experience of Toaism and skipped to the last chapter of Kabbalah. I was impressed, and it renewed my devotion to Kabbalah! I studied it at The Kabbalah Centre in New York (I grew up in a Christian family, and much of it didn't make any sense to me), and then after hearing from a few friends who are also a part of the mega-association that I wasn't spiritual anymore (not being spiritual translates into not paying for classes and not talking in some Kabbalah dialect makes you non-spiritual. WTF?). I was impressed and happy with Kabbalah after reading his experience. I was also able to reach a conclusion about my own opinions of it. It's not the teachers or the teachings, but the students who become more self righteous about it!
I also enjoyed reading about the Realian thing, which I never knew existed (I thought Scientology was the only spirituality with Aliens, as I found out later, there are more that I just didn't know about). I love his honesty, and his search on the source of different spiritualities, and asking the BIG question with all of them "Why?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Man Seeks God.

07/30/2013 marked as: read