Joe Robles's Reviews > Situations Matter: Understanding How Context Transforms Your World

Situations Matter by Sam Sommers

Dec 06, 11

Read in November, 2011

This is the first ever Advanced Reading Copy I've ever gotten. That alone made me excited to read the book. Fortunately the book was actually a good read (no pun intended...OK, maybe a little).

Situations Matter is a great book on how situations effect the way we make decisions and see the world. It was definitely written with the layperson in mind, though it does have enough studies thrown in to keep those of us who majored in the subject in college interested.

The first part of the book covered lots of items I remember from my Social Psychology class, but the 2nd part gets into research I hadn’t seen before. The most illuminating chapter was Mars and Venus here on Earth. The fact that there will be sex differences on math tests, but if you tell women that the test is neutral (without actually changing it) you can eliminate those differences, is fascinating. There are several interesting tidbits like that, as well as other ways we can avoid being effected by situations.

Sommers writes in a way that reminds me of some of my favorite college professors. He writes with a nice amount of humor to keep the readers interested and brings big ideas down to a personal level. I think this would be a great alternative or companion to an Intro to social psychology class. Also, great for anyone who loves psychology.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Situations Matter.

message 1: by Swallowfeather (new)

Swallowfeather Wait, this is too fascinating, I have to understand exactly what you mean about the math tests. Are you saying that he cites a study in which women scored lower on the test if they were told it was a math test, and higher on the same test if they were told it was a general reasoning test or some such?

message 2: by Joe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joe Robles Swallowfeather wrote: "Wait, this is too fascinating, I have to understand exactly what you mean about the math tests. Are you saying that he cites a study in which women scored lower on the test if they were told it was..."

Basically, if women were told before taking the test that "sex bias" had been removed from the test they were about to take (even though nothing changed), they would score higher (as good or better than boys) than the control group of girls that was given the same test. Crazy isn't it! A guy named Joshua Aronson did the same experiment at NYU with the same results.

message 3: by Swallowfeather (new)

Swallowfeather That's even crazier than what I thought you meant. Wow. That really says a lot.