Mark's Reviews > The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman

The 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss

Jan 14, 12

This book is crazy. Timothy Ferriss is narcissistic and obsessive to an intense degree - at one point he gets a blood glucose monitor installed in his skin so he can graph his levels. His constant humblebragging is pretty hard to take.

The 4 Hour Body is laid out like a recipe book based on what goals you want to achieve. There are chapters for weight loss, muscle gain, endurance improvements, swimming, s_x techniques, testosterone improvement, injury rehabilitation, and so on. He is not kidding around when he cautions you against reading it cover to cover: the organization makes for a difficult and disconnected read, so follow his advice and only read the chapters you're actually interested in.

Dude has obviously done his research and has dozens of pages of citations and notes and formulas at the back of the book, so it's hard to level my usual charge of 'broscience' at this book (although oftentimes the studies he cites are on really small sample sizes). And he takes insane amounts of measurements and provides data on every facet of the experiments he does on himself so it definitely seems like they work.

My main beef with the book is that Timothy Ferriss routinely takes an adversarial tone where he pits his Protocol against the standard exercise/regimens and proclaims his method much simpler and more effective. But oftentimes his Protocol is equally or exceedingly crazy! 'Don't waste your time watching what you eat when instead you can follow this super restrictive diet along with strictly timed supplement intake!' 'Why waste hours in the gym every week lifting weights when you can follow my plan (of lifting weights)?' 'Why spend all those hours running to train for an ultramarathon when you can do my method of high intensity interval training!' (He got plantar fasciitis and did not do the ultramarathon). Make no mistake - if you follow his Protocols you are going to seem like a crazy person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 4-Hour Body.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katie I'm reading this right now and I completely agree with everything you've said here! It's interesting, and it seems like he's done his research, but the guy comes off like such a huckster! "Last May I was attending a Nine Inch Nails concert with Barack Obama, the Pope, and the founders of Google at Bob Dylan's secret ranch on Neptune when suddenly..."

Do you burn calories when your skin is crawling? Because mine is.

message 2: by Mark (last edited Jul 22, 2012 02:40PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mark Katie wrote: "I'm reading this right now and I completely agree with everything you've said here! It's interesting, and it seems like he's done his research, but the guy comes off like such a huckster! "Last May..."

ha ha. the thing is, I'm sure he actually was drinking a fine port at a French café with a 22 year old yoga instructor when he had the conversation that he quotes, but somehow it's off-putting when it's introduced that way.

James Larranaga similar thoughts here -- crazy and junk science if you ask me.