Audra (Unabridged Chick)'s Reviews > Before I Go To Sleep

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

Feb 20, 12

bookshelves: mood-dark-and-twisted, place-london, place-uk, secret-identities, skeletons-in-the-closet
Read from February 14 to 20, 2012

Last year, I read something like three books featuring main characters with a traumatic brain injury that caused them to forget parts of their past. I'm sort of over that theme, but there was so much buzz about this book that I decided to get over myself and read this one. From the first chapter, and the narrator's disorienting crash in to reality and her life (even if she doesn't believe this is her life), I was grabbed: there's an immediacy that comes from her horror and her apprehension. Even more, it's impossible to trust anyone -- at least I couldn't conceive of trusting anyone in this tale -- which meant every revelation felt suspicious, and I just couldn't put the book down. I had to know!

I must admit I was reminded greatly of Momento, so some of the oomph of the premise -- the journal, the don't-trust-Ben stuff -- didn't feel as shocking to me as I think they were supposed to be, but Watson's writing is solid, and there's tension is spades. I couldn't put this book down because I didn't want to leave our heroine, Chrissy, alone!

Overall, this is a solid thriller, and if you're not the type to try to 'solve' the mystery, then I think it'll captivate you for a few days. Everything wrapped up a little too neatly for me, but I think it would have been impossible to find a perfect ending for this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Go To Sleep.