Paul Lunger's Reviews > Rise Like Lions

Rise Like Lions by David Mack

Dec 08, 11

Read from December 06 to 08, 2011

Ever since the original episode "Mirror, Mirror" one of the favorite places for both the Star Trek series to visit & to write about for me always has been the mirror universe. Through a reintroduction via DS9 & the novels themselves this parallel universe has had a story that has continued to grow & expand & up until now didn't have a concluding storyline. That is until now. Following up on "Rough Beasts of Empire", "Rise Like Lions" is David Mack's way of bringing closure to a universe of mass murder & rebellion with alliances we could only dream of. The story picks up where "The Soul Key" leaves of in 2377 & takes us across the next 4 years (although primarily in 2377 & 2378) as we watch the Terran Rebellion grow in size & Memory Omega's goals & plans come into fruition. Mack uses the alternate characters to some of their best levels in a while & incorporates elements of all series both television, fictional & novelized & writes a story that holds true to the progress made in the mirror universe & gives us a story that serves as a fitting ending to the majority of events there. Granted as with the recent Enterprise novel there is room to come back here down the road, but if this truly is the last we'll ever see of the mirror universe this is the way to go out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rise Like Lions.